Why now?

My dd is 14 months old and was ebf until like 11 months and didnt really start a lot of food til after 1 year. She still nurses anywhere from 2-6 times a day just depending on the day. If we are out and about she doesnt care to nurse but if we are at home she is all about the boobie! (except she is done in just a few minutes unless it is first thing in the morning or right before bed.) But all of a sudden my nipples are sore. She bit me for the first time last week and it was with her brand new tooth. (she got her 1st tooth the day she tuned 14 months.) The next day she acted like she was gonna do it again but I stopped her before she had the chance to do it. But anyways why would both my nipples be sore all of a sudden? Could she be getting lazy with her latch? If so, do that mean its time to wean? It doesnt hurt while she is nursing though. Ok anyways does anyone have any advice? If so, please do share.

DarciMykell

Asked by DarciMykell at 10:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd check her latch. My DS's changed a little once he got his first tooth last month.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 10:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Nursing at this age is very painful. Try pumping milk and give it to her in a bottle. You have to stop coz those tooth will put u in pain. Good luck!!!
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 11:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It could be the way she is pulling off of your nipples now that she doesn't feed the same. As far as her biting your nipples, flick her in the cheek the next time (of course not hard, but it startles them) and she will never do it again. Also if she isn't doing a full feeding other than morning and night, judt take away the others all together. Don't offer, start giving her snacks and she won't ask. At her age she doesn't need to feed so much, she should be getting good nutrition from the solids you are giving her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No I'm not gonna pump and give her a bottle! She has never been a bottle baby and wont start now.

I didnt say I wanted to wean her so why would I take away feedings during the day? She doesnt like cow's milk so the only milk she gets is boobie milk. She always eats her solids and table foods before she nurses anyways.
    DarciMykell

Answer by DarciMykell at 7:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If she's eating regular food before nursing that is why she only does a few minutes. It's fine to offer a sippy cup with meals and just go to nursing in the AM and before bed. Her latch has probably changed with the teeth coming in and if she's biting she's done nursing anyway so remove her and give her a firm NO. Use a lanolin ointment to ease the pain. It does not need to be wiped off before you nurse again. You can, and probably should, drop a feeding or two because it sounds as if she's starting to wean herself and it will make it easier on you when the inevitable happens. PM if you like nursed four of them myself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2009