When can I start my infant on juices and/or cereals?

My son is now 10 weeks old and exclusively breastfeeding, and doing fantastic. His weight gain is great (he is 15lbs 1oz!!) I was just wanting to get a perspective on what other breastfeeding moms are doing or did with their babies.

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the breastmilk should be his primary source of nutrition for the first 9 months to a year...if he's doing great then dont' mess with it :)..they technically don't NEED juice but I started giving mine around 9 months in a sippy...she didn't know how to use a sippy, so I guess she wasn't getting much juice :)...If you start cereals, which they don't need, they can cause constipation problems...cereals are just a bunch of empty calories anyway...I started my daughter on her first solid when she was about 6 months old and I mashed her up some fresh avocado...that's all she had for quite a while...I started her on 3 meals a day of table foods around 10-11 months....she was also breastfed for the first 11 months, when I lost my supply :(...but she's 13 months now and doing great. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• four to six months is a good time to start, but the most important thing for them is the breastmilk everything else you start them on is just to get them used to eating regular food.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I combined several guides and went with the median. LOL
    Wic says wait til 6 months before even starting cereal. Gerber says its ok to start cereal and 1st foods when baby can sit with support and fully hold up the head.
    I waited til one month after she could sit up with a boppy which was about 4 1/2 months and slowly went from cereal to fruits and veggies to the meats. You can try whenever you want just be prepared for tummy aches every now and then
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• OH and BTW...when you do decide to start ALWAYS breastfeed FIRST!! only use solids as dessert and practice. He should always get the breast first...if you don't, then you run the risk of him not wanting to breastfeed as often. good luck and congrats :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:29 AM on Sep. 22, 2009