How do I know if I have Mastitis?

I don't think I have it but I do believe I have had a couple clogged ducts, how does that happen? It's always been in my left breast too, just a really hard lump that's sensitive to the touch. The past 2 times I have used a warm compress and pumped but it didn' t work, but after a few nursing cycles it went away. How will I know if it gets more serious, like Mastitis and what are the symptoms?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• The PP have given you good advice.

At the first sign of a clogged duct, try massaging your breast in that area while nursing. And always nurse from that side first. Also, try to position your child so their chin is facing the clogged duct. They take the most milk from directly under their chin, so for instance...if your clogged duct is on the outside, try nursing in the football hold or, if absolutely necessary, lying down with your baby facing the opposite direction.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• flu symptoms.... and it can and cannot make your boobs hurt... make sure u drink lots of water and keep everything flowing.... :) good luck!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You will get reddish streaks across your chest, high fever/chills, and have flu-like symptoms - tired, achy. I had it with my third baby. I waited way too long and ended up having to get cut and drained twice on the same breast. I tried to express by hand, nurse, and use a pump, but it did not "unclog". The duct develops a "sac" around itself, so no matter how much pressure was applied, nothing came out. I always tell new moms that if they even suspect they might have it, to see their doctor right away - it can usually be treated by taking oral antibiotics. I waited one day too long.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 10:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2009