As anyones baby ended up in hospital from...

My 8 month old has bronchiolitis. She has been doing ned. treatments for last week every about 4hr. She still sounds pretty bad and could benefit doing neb. more often. Taking back to DR. tomorrow cause she doesn't sound better. I know you can have a crakling for up to two weeks, sometimes longer. But she is wheezy and she sometimes cant breathe to drink bottle. I am worried she will be back in hospital like she was at 5wks old with RSV.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My youngest was 5 weeks old when he had bronciolitis and RSV. He was in the PICU for a week, and squeaked by without going on a ventilator. (they had the medications out for it three times, ready to put him on it though)

I don't know what they have you putting in the nebulizer, but if it's not helping, you've got to get back to the doctor NOW, not tomorrow. Our pediatrician has us taking them in any time they are wheezing.

My youngest is now almost 3 years old and has asthma.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Most kids get bronchiolitis during their first year of life. If she has strong lungs then the neb treatment at home should work. The only real benefit at 8 months to being hospitalized is if her O2 level is low and she needs oxygen probes to help her breathe between treatments.

My son has had 10 hospitalizations (9 of which were respiratory related) starting at 5 months (4 by age 1, 3 more by age 2, and 3 more since... he is almost 5)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my daughter didn't have to, but my coworkers 2 kids were both hospitalized from broncitiis as babies. They also both grew out of the need for the nebulizer and haven't had any serious lung issues since they were little.

THe doc may increase the dose and frequency of the nebulizer though. Mine got it every 2 hours for a certain time frame then we dropped it slowly and went int for a follow up just a few days later to see how it was working and redo the dose if necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Your doc might also change the neb med or put her on an oral steriod. There are more things you can do outside of the hospital then just an every 4 hour neb treatment
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I had bronchial pneumonia as a baby and was in the hospital but I was also much younger, only a few days old. They might bring her in but it shouldn't be for long and you should be able to stay with her. My guy was in the hospital with rotavirus when he was a little older than your little one and I slept on the folding out chair there. Not the comfiest but not a huge deal and if you're still breast feeding then you get fed too which saves trying to get away to get to the cafeteria.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009