How can I best solve very mild flattening of my son's head?

We went for his 2 month check up today and the dr said the more tummy time the better because he has slight flattening on his head... nothing too noticeable. The thing is he usually sleeps on his boppie or his swing, which is rounded, so it's not like we can really rotate his head. Any suggestions?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had torticollis which is a neck condition. She couldnt move her head so she has a nice flat spot on the side/back of her head. She started physical therapy to stretch those muscles at 2 months old. The neck is fine now but the head still is somewhat flat. The best thing that you can do for that is whenever you can, get him off his head. Tummy time, bumbo seat, sitting in your lap anything to get him off his head. By the time he gets more mobile, it will start rounding out. My daughter is 7 months old now and the doctor said her head is much much better and she will most likely not need a helmet. Sit your baby up and take a picture of his head (kinda like an ariel view of the top of his head). Take a picture every 2 weeks and you will start to notice the change. It is hard to see when you see him everyday but look back on pictures and you will see it. Any questions, send me a message!

vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• the only thing I could really think is the obvious get the baby up off his head.
    Babies really need to sleep on a flat surface. so try to get him to sleep in a crib.
    Hold him while feeding.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• did you know that the boppy says not to let baby sleep on it because of suffocation risk? just fyi.

our son's head got pretty flat because while he slept at night in his bassinet, he always faced the same way! we would put him down so that all of the interesting things were facing the other way but he would still face that way. eventually it evened out and now he's totally normal. since you are saying it's pretty mild i wouldn't worry about it at all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• his head was still flat when he moved to a crib around 4 mos btw.
    Anonymous

• when u put ur baby to sleep lay him on his side and try not to lay him on ihs back all the time. is he laying on his back all the time? hold him n try not to have him lay on his back much. so switch him from side to side. :)
    Anonymous