what is a good age to start leaving your child alone for a couple maybe three hours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• WHERE I COME FROM THE LAW IS 14 teen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It depends on the maturity of the child in question.  About 13 or 14 I would say but you need to start with baby steps.  When my daughter was 11, I started leaving her home alone for very short periods of time, no more than half an hour.  As she got older, I gradually increased the length of time, until we were both comfortable with her being home alone for a few hours.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Most states the law is age 12 but it depends on your childs maturity level and the level of responsibility. Withthe way I see kids act and treat their parents today Id never leave a teenager alone. Even a few hours.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't even consider it until at least 12 and like beeky I'd start with baby steps. But it will completely depend on how my kids act when they reach that age, it's not looking good for them to be honest!
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 11:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• 25?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My son will be 12 this December. I started leaving him home alone this Summer for about 30 mins-1 hour at a time, but I called him constantly. I knew that I was getting a job when school started back and he has to stay just 30 mins alone after school. I have him call me as soon as he gets home and by that time, I'm off work and on my way home.
    GinaPQueen

Answer by GinaPQueen at 7:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• In Ohio it is when you feel the child is mature enough to stay by themselves. I called CPS and asked when my oldest child was little and they gave me this answer... I worked with a lady who left her child at 5 and 10 alone and it use to freak me out...
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 7:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My daughter will be twelve next month. She completed the Babysitting course through the red cross and has already had a few jobs. I am usually home and nearby if she needs me. 12 is the magic number here, but she is very mature and my neighbors trust her.
    momoftwomandm

Answer by momoftwomandm at 7:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I started leaving mine alone when they were 12 but my oldest is very mature and responsible so I never worried. However my youngest is 13 and I'm still uneasy about leaving him. So I think it all depends on the law in your state and how mature and responsible your child is.
    berrishaker

Answer by berrishaker at 7:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Well besides whatever the law says I think it depends on the maturity too. My DD is 10 (and Im not sure what the law is here for that) but she is not mature enough to be left alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009