so my husband is leaving for his first deployment in a couple weeks....

i wanted some really cute ideas to do before he leaves for him and for our almost 3 year old son-who is a daddys boy. my husband will be missing our son's birthday, thanksgiving, Christmas, and possibly our anniversary. i was wanting to take pictures of us to put on an iron on thing (dont know what else to call it lol) to iron on to pillows. does anyone else have any cute ideas i can do? i only have a couple weeks to get this done! please help! thanks

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• im going to video tape my husband reading stories to my little girl so daddys can read her a story every night, and im going to video tape him eating lunch with her so she can eat lunch with him. and i dont know what else to do yet. but i like your idea thats cute. my hubbys leaving in a few weeks too!!! first deployment :( oh and i plan on having a "christmas" before he leaves, and a little birthday celebration before he leaves too. nothing huge but yeah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i just dont know where i can get the iron ons printed out. i dont think i can do it at home with my scanner.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• whoops i meant printer
    SThompson21

• Have you thought about the card board cut out of daddy? So the little one will have a life sized paper photo of daddy? Lots of military family's do this for their kids. They take dad everywhere and it seems to help with the seperation anxiety.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• You can get the iron on sheets at wal-mart and print them on your own printer
    vbruno

• you can buy the iron paper at wal mart or somewhere like that and print it at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i will have to try that but i dont know where to get a piece of cardboard or a picture of daddy big enough that is a really good idea though
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think hobby lobby or micheals may do this. I'm not sure though. Make sure you send him with a butt load of pictures, and get him some disposables so he can take pictures while there and send them to you to develop for your 3 yr old.

Spray your perfume, or sleep with his pillows for a few days so it will smell like you. also, send him with a snack bag, food out there sucks! Trust me I know..lol!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i like the idea of sleeping with the pillows and taking cameras good ideas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I think they're called "Flat Daddy". For my husband's first deployment, I also printed pictures out onto the iron on sheets that I bought and ironed them onto not only a pillowcase, but also on the flat sheet. I even ironed a picture of me onto the fly of a pair of his underwear. Lol! There's a place where you can set up a voicemail account for your husband. The company takes the message and turns it into a wav that gets e-mailed. Your husband won't be able to call back, but my daughters loved being able to leave messages that my husband could hear. If you haven't already joined your husband's ship's spousal group, you may want to do that. You could probably ask for the info on the company that does the vm thing. My husband buys all the appropriate cards he'll need before he leaves and writes in them ahead of time so he doesn't miss a special occasion.
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 1:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009