i need advice a few months ago my 7 year old son got sick with a high fever about 105 for a week took him to the doctor and he said it was a bacterial infection but none of my other children got it a few days later he said mommy my neck feels funny (cont)

and when he lifted his head he had a huge ball the size of large marble on his neck well took him back to the doctor and tested him for strep and it was negative 3 times even with blood test he said hell be fine well a few as the weeks passed he started complaining of headaches his legs hurting tired often sporadic fevers very high 105 nausea and the swollen lymph node is still there but his doctor keeps saying it'll go down and he'll be OK should i believe him I'm so scared what could this be do i need a new doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd take him to the ER, because that doesn't sound good. Reguardless of whether the doctor says it will go down...I'd want to know what it was in the first place. I mean they didn't take any film or do a biopsy on it at all? Very strange.
    Let us know how your son is doing.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• yeah id take him to the er and tell them i want tests done if they dont do it automatically
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Id get a different Dr ASAP! This DOES NOT SOUND NORMAL!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If he suspected a bacterial infection, he should've put your son on antibiotics --- it's the viral infections that have to just run their course.

Was he checked for TB? My son's lymph nodes under the ears recently swelled up really big. I mean REALLY big --- from behind he looked like a flippin' cobra. That's the first thing he did - a TB test - and had him on antibiotics from day one. (it was neg, btw, and the antibiotics did the trick within a few days)

Time for a new Dr.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• NEW DOCTOR!!!!! Did they do any other labs? Did they do the basics??? CBC? Chem 12? There are a million other tests I would be asking for. All that sounds like he needs a real good work up and find out what is going on. If your doc wont do it, take him somewhere that will.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Use the symptom checker at webmd.com if you're curious as to what else could be wrong with him; But mostly, go to a different doctor! Second opinions save lives.

when I was about 4 years old I was constantly sick and 4 different doctors treated me for allergies and sent me home telling my mother I needed benedryl and that was it. Well, after I turned 5 a few weeks later I was hospitalized in a different state and they diagnosed me with a very serious kidney disease called nymphrotic syndrome. I almost died because I should have been treated for it so much earlier.
    zeroblivion

Answer by zeroblivion at 2:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Listen to that little voice in the back of your head telling you something isn't right. Take him somewhere else as soon as you can. A temp that high that keeps returning is not normal and should not be dismissed. Find a new doctor.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Take him to the ER. THere's something wrong and your doctor doesn't sound competent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Take him somewhere else. My daughter had a lymph node infection a couple of years ago, and her only symptoms were high fever and occaisional vomitting. The doctor prescribed antibiotics for the infection. He told me it could become dangerous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You need to get a new doctor. Anytime they suspect bacterial infection, there should be a round of antibiotics in someone so young. And they fact that all he is testing for is strep even though it clearly isn't strep, is concerning. I would definitely get into another doc or the ER/urgent care ASAP
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2009