Are you planting your own friuts n veggies on backyard?

I have planted tomatoes, they are easy fresh and cheaper to have it right there in ur backyard. My husband is also building a greenhouse in the backyard. How cool is that. U wanna save money, plant ur veggies n fruits at ur home?

What u think of the idea.

BuzyMamma

Asked by BuzyMamma at 11:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would love to the only thing I planted last year in July was an avocado plant I had it in a cup of water half way sumerged with tooth picks holding it then it grew roots (I was so proud) then I plant it in a pot and it grew it kindof looked like a baby palm tree then I finally planted it in the ground so far so good it is growing slowly I know it is going to take years before it produces avocados but hey this is my first I do not have a green thumb. But one day I would love to do what you guys are doing and I totally agree with it being cheaper and not to mention no chemicals involved just pure natural fruit and veggies...I wish you were my neighbor :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Thank u for the positive feedback mamma. Good luck with ur avocado. U know Low`s..they sell those ready self plants kits. Where u buy them, just add n put ur seeds in them. Once they grow bigger then take them to a bigger pot. It gives a start. Good luck n thank u again.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 12:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm definitely going to have a garden next year!!!!!!!!!! I was too late this year :( Or maybe I was just too lazy, lol. We've just purchased our first home and gotten all moved in so next year, it's ON baby! I want all kinds of good stuff out there!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• loving the fact you have a greenhouse. I have wanted one forever! I almost have the ol man talked into building me a coldframe next month, but he doesn't look too hopeful about it. fruits no, but veggies yes! if i had planned on staying in this house for a long time i would definitely plant some fruit trees but that's not an option right now.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yeah I did a garden this year...my first one. I used all the tips I could get and I guess I just don't have a green thumb 'cause everything died. I only got 2 tomatoes.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I plant a garden every year. I have a nice assortment of tomatoes, beans, cukes, zucchini, butternut squash, peppers, peas, and corn. i also have a peach tree, 2 types of grapes, balckberries and 2 fig bushes. i just started 2 blueberry plants this year. Usually I get good results, but this year, the weather really did a job on my garden. Hopefully next year will be better. If I had room, I would love to have a greenhouse. But we did get enough to eat, I just like to be able to give some of it away to others.
    denmar29

Answer by denmar29 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• we have 3 apple trees, a pear tree, 2 cherry trees and planted a plum, pineapple pear tree this year. We also have 2 pecan trees and a walnut. I also have a small garden, making it much bigger next year. I am going to be canning all week, and next.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I've grown veggies and fruits on my property for as long as I can remember: apples, cherries, blueberries, grapes, tomatoes, pumpkins, squash, beans, peas, sweet corn, peppers, melons, cucumbers, onions, broccoli, herbs and salad greens. We have a short growing season where I'm at in Michigan and this year was a bad year but I always have enough to preserve by canning or freezing so we can enjoy it throughout the year. It definitely saves us $$$! I'd love to have a greenhouse so that I can start growing my veggies earlier than June!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I love my garden. We have tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, onions, carrots, strawberries, bell peppers, and some various herbs. I would love to do corn and potatoes too. I am going to try to do some more fruit next year and as far as the green house, yeah...... not likely from my husband. I love him to death, but he isnt very handy. If anyone was going to build a green house it would be me haha.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I grow tomatoes every year. We also planted an apple tree this last spring but I don't think it's going to make it. When we live in Michigan I grew a lot of thing, pumpkins, gourds, cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes of many varieties and potatoes. We had almost and acre of land there. Here in Southern Cali we have two cement patios, so I can't grow has much.
    ToniTennille

Answer by ToniTennille at 9:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009