Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't get answers before. My sister in law (X-/) fell into our shower wall and busted a huge hole in the tile and drywall. NEED ANSWERS!

the drywall is mildewed and had to be replaced. We will need to retile the shower. We have to get a contractor to do it, though we can purchase the supplies (since that should make it cheaper!) Our landlord should be responsible for a large part of the cost since the water leaked in from the window, right? The shower was previously faulty b/c it shouldn't have caved like that... correct? So, how much should it cost apx, and what should the dividing cost between us and landlord be? NEED ANSWERS!

Answer Question

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 8 (212 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • if you are renting yes mam. if it is mildewed, but if your landlord is a cheapscape like mine you will be lucky to get half. you should ask him for at least half. kind of sister inlaw fault but the mildew in drywall not sure. its not safe far as health wise. if anyone in the house is allergic extreme like my mom u can really get sick. but while you rent, u also are responsible for keeping the house in tact, meaning if the toilet, sink, or so on breaks u need to fix.

    Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 11:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • So basically, we should have to pay for the supplies, but he the labor? Or at least we would pay part of the supplies, and he the rest of it all?

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • Ide tell your landlord your putting next months rent in trust with the states attorney untill these repairs are done. It's NOT your place your not responsible for it the landlord is. Tell him you will call the health dept or the EPA about the mold as well. That ought to motivate him to repair it ASAP

    Answer by vbruno at 11:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • He is a great guy, our landlord. He hasn't said anything to us one way or another about it. He lives in an addition on our house (sort of like a duplex i guess). I don't think it will go that far. I don't want to get anywhere near bad terms with him. I'm sure that based on what happened he will be willing to pay... I'm just afraid he won't want to pay his share... and I don't know what that would be, legally.

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • Call a handyman and get an estimate

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • don't worry about the legalities of it yet. just ask him to pay half, if the wall fell in like that than it was already bad and therefore the brunt of the problem is the mildew that was there in the first place. so just ask what portion of it he is going to pay for and if you don't agree look up the laws regarding it, or call a lawyer and ask so you know what his share is and approach him about that than. but if you haven't had any problems w/him so far and don't want to cause any problems in the future, going in nicely and just asking what part he's gonna pay for is probably best. and he'll have to hire a contractor, you can't authorize work in a home that isn't yours.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 8:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.