Is being induced bad for the baby or me?

I am 28 weeks right now and I am a high risk pregnancy. My doctor wants me to be induced at 38 weeks because I had pre-eclampsia in my last pregnancy and lost the baby around 32 weeks. I had heard that being induced is bad for the baby and me, and I dont know if that is true..can anyone help??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you do not have pre-e now then yes, it would be bad. If you are at risk for it, yes, it would be bad.
    But if you have pre-e now, and maybe danger signs then you'd weigh your risks.

If you and your baby are fine & healthy then it would ADD risk to induce.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• While there are minor negatives to be induced, it's extremely common and nothing to worry about. My mom was induced twice, and was fine...and she didn't even have ANY pain meds or an epidural. I have heard that it's more painful, but there are ways to manage it to where you'll only feel the pain for a short while. You'll be totally fine, babe. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• It's bad for Both of you actually. ASK your Dr about all the risks of being induced or actually READ the release you have to sign to get it done. Because ALL the things that can go wrong are on that release
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• to being*
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I was induced with both my kids and they are fine...same with me
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 11:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I was induced; pain wasn't too bad, labor was short, and my baby was healthy. If you lost your baby before due to high risk pregnancy, I think its worth the risk of c section (because induction leads to csection in some cases) to keep this baby healthy.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• here are a few risks to being induced.

here is a bit more about induction.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I would like to add, while there ARE risks, there are risks involved in any birth. Even a completely natural, un-induced birth can result in problems. I'm having a c section on Thursday, and I've decided not to ask ANY more questions regarding it, because a lot of the moms on here are really negative and all that will result of the question will be your being even more scared. Ask your Dr. if you have concerns. I received a lot of incorrect advice and info on here a while back. Once I aked my Dr. about some of it, he was like "Ummm...WHO told you that?", lol. He's been a Dr. for over 30 years. :) None of the moms on here are Dr.'s that I know of, so don't let anyone scare you. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• I agree with STEFANIEN84
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Well it may be true that we are not doctors it is also true that doctors are NOT pregnancy, labor and delivery specialists.
    Maybe you should try to get in contact with a local midwife and hear what she has to say. Midwifes are specialists in pregnancy, labor and delivery.
    An OB/GYN is a physician specialist who provides medical and surgical care to women. They are surgeons. And FEW of them have seen MANY natural births.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2009