When I die.

If I didn't feel anything before I was born, why would I feel anything after I am dead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you remember being a month old? You existed, so where are those memories?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• good question. well what do u mean by not feeling anything? u dont remember what happend that day.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 11:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Just because I don't remember it ..doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    I get that message. A great question. But..
    In death - will I also not remember that?

Where does the human memory/human thoughts begin/cease?
    Where is the line drawn?
    It has been a long night, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• The trouble is, no one alive knows. We have faith to guide us in our beliefs, however. Either way, if there really is nothing after death, I have nothing to worry about anyway.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• But there is more than one theoretical god..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Where does the human memory/human thoughts begin/cease?

Are we talking long term or short term memory? My first reaction to the question however would it begins and ceases with brain functions. If your brain ceases to function (death, extended coma, etc) then you won't have memories.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Odd question without any certain answer since one would have had to die or be able to remember life before birth to answer this question correctly.

There is little comfort I can give you for what will happen after you die, mainly because I obviously haven't died yet. I can only say that worry is wasteful and if you want to base your theories off the thought process you've given here... then "You can't recall worrying before you were born about feeling therefore why worry about after you die?" Life is short, I say live it, enjoy it, and don't seek death but don't worry your life away over it.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Memory is a human quality, not a spiritual one. It's much the same as praying in the spirit or intercessory prayer. There is a consciousness that's higher than the human mind, greater than the human ability to control, in that place where what you once were, are supposed to be and should return to communicate with the Father. Your soul is essentially the breath of life that God breathed into you when you became you. Scholars have not been able to answer this question and the Bible does not have any direct teachings about it. As close to an answer as I or anyone can give you is to tell you that the Bible tells us that when Jesus returns we'll understand it all by and by - which means immediately.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Actually by and by means in time, doesn't it? When you say I'll see you by and by... you don't mean immediately, do you?

Anyway, if you do any research on near death experiences (try www.nderf.org) you will read a lot of stories about people who do remember what happens when you die (or almost die)... some were clinically dead for a bit... anway, lots of beautiful stories to inspire Christians, athiests, agnostics, pagans, anyone.

I personally believe after the research that I have done that the memory is not really attached to the brain, but in the soul. The soul exists in another plane of existence with the Divine. When someone is brain-dead or comatose, or even has alzheimers I believe there is a disconnect between the physical brain and the memory bank of the soul.

I also believe in reincarnation (and it was a belief of early christians too)... and that you carry some attributes over with you into the next life.
    NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• There is so much we don't know about the human brain. So depending on human understanding and experience is limited at best. I believe life begins at conception and the eternal soul is born then as well. So, just because we don't remember feeling things doesn't mean we don't. I've seen newborns dream, perhaps remembering something in the uterus. We just don't know. I would rather put my faith in God than human understanding.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009