What do I do? My son has a cold for the first time

I know this sounds dumb but I don't know what to do. My son has a cold and when I give him his milk before bed he throws up. So do I stop the milk for now? I know not to give him any cold medicine but what else should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no milk w/a fever found that out the hard way, no dairy in general.
    water, pedialyte if he has a fever so he doesn't get dehydrated. saline spray for his nose if needed. just keep him as comfy as possible, tylenol/motrin for fever or pain if any. otherwise, a humidifier (if you don't have one, go to your grocery store, in the med or baby aisle they'll have a throw away plug in that goes into the outlets, you'll need a few or to put it close to the bed b/c they aren't strong but they still work). if he has a bad cough, a sucker will soothe his throat a bit (i think they may make a "cough drop" type sucker for little ones, but a regular sucker works just as well and for them its fun)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You don't need to give a toddler cow's milk any time. Cow's milk is for baby cows, human milk is for baby humans.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The question was about her toddler being sick not milk, but since we are on subject, do you drink human milk GAIIIIAZ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• How is that if a person could not breastfeed at all!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Wow, I that is so ignorant
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Op here YEA that was no help GAllllAZ I choose to only breastfeed for so long My son is a TODDLER! If cow's milk is for baby cows only then why is it in stores?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• This is good advice:
    "no milk w/a fever found that out the hard way, no dairy in general.
    water, pedialyte if he has a fever so he doesn't get dehydrated. saline spray for his nose if needed. just keep him as comfy as possible, tylenol/motrin for fever or pain if any. otherwise, a humidifier (if you don't have one, go to your grocery store, in the med or baby aisle they'll have a throw away plug in that goes into the outlets, you'll need a few or to put it close to the bed b/c they aren't strong but they still work). if he has a bad cough, a sucker will soothe his throat a bit (i think they may make a "cough drop" type sucker for little ones, but a regular sucker works just as well and for them its fun)"
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The milk isn't his only source of nutrition at this time, don't worry about him not having that. Lots of water or pedialyte, using that Vapor Bath at bathtime does help if he's stuffy or runny nosed. Get out the old nose sucker again if he can't blow his nose yet. And surprisingly, my pediatrician had me give my son Benadryl to help with congestion and such, but ask first obviously!!! My son had a really hard time eating solids while he was congested, so we backtracked to baby food during the illness and it really did help him relax with a full belly and water. He went straight back to solids afterwards too!!
    littlebump4me

Answer by littlebump4me at 3:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2009