Nursing strike

My son recently experienced a hind-milk deficiency issue, during which we started supplementing formula (because of weight loss). Now I can only (rarely) get him to eat from the breast, and the most he will take is about half of one side before screaming and thrashing hysterically. I eventually give him the bottle because the weightloss thing scared me. Now I'm afraid my milk might dry up before i can get him back on the breast.

lovezion

Asked by lovezion at 12:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That might happen. That's why it's not a good idea to give babies bottles. I'm sorry you got bad info and were told to give your baby a bottle. That's not the right way to handle a hind-milk deficiency issue (if that's what it was) or low supply.

You milk shouldn't be drying up if you have been pumping and giving the baby your milk. If you have been giving the baby formula it would be best to call a lactation consultant. You would need to wean the baby off the formula.

You can rent a pump to increase your supply to either get your baby back breastfeeding or to pump and feed your baby your milk. Of course when you pump all the foremilk and hindmilk is all mixed together. If there was a hindmilk problem you may have to pump it in different bottles and label.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Can you use a breast pump and give it to him in bottles?
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• just drop the formula completly go back to only your milk. when the baby fusses like that at the breast DO NOT give in.babies will not starve themsleves. just keep him at the breast.if he continues to fuss put him down for a minute.if hes truly hungry he will eventually realize that he needs to eat form your breast, hes not getting anything else. he will eat form your breast as long as you dont give in. he knows mom will give in and give him a bottle if he fusses.! just get rid of the bottles and formula soon or else your supply WILL dry up and it will be nothing but formula.good luck
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Check out this article for information on how to get baby back to the breast. It seems as though baby is frustrated because the milk is not coming as fast and easily as the bottle. Start by nursing during sleepy times and BEFORE baby is very hungry. They tend to fight less during these times.

Is baby off of formula now? How did you know you have a 'hindmilk' deficiency? Were you feeding baby off of only one breast per feeding?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009