Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you get a child back from DHS please help me out asap

ok my dad had gaurdenship of my dd. due to medical reasons only. NOT because of of drugs r drinking r was just for medical reason.well i found out tonght she was put into DHS for running away from his home.i live in one state and they live in a differnt state.anyone on here know how to get a child back from dhs sorry for the spelling i am just soooooooo stressed


Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in About CafeMom

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Ok i work for DSS so ill tell you what i can... you first need to find out all the facts on why she was taken from him... if there are any police reports u need to get them as well. if you all dont live together and are divorced or seperated it is as simple as going down there and showing that you were out of state and he was watching her. now if u share custody of her it is alittle more trick u must file for sole custody of her and there is no other way around that unless he signs all his rights over to her... good luck hon hope everything works out for you

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • well i dont knowform personal expirience but my bil had his child taken away from him andit took years for him to get her abck,..and lots of money.but to ask you ive never heard of a child being placed with someone else because of a medical issue..? but also if she was placed with your dad and taken form you then you cant really go there and try to get her back espeacially since you are in a diff state. but i wish all the best but it takes quite a bit of "proving" yourself to the dhs to fully get her back.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • she was not taken away from i gave him medical guardianship if her. i was on dutyand could not take her. i got back yesterday and found out she was taken away from him 3 months ago and no one told me a thing tell i got home. when i called him to tell him i was coming to get her that is when he told me.......she was never taken away from me


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • I'm not bashing you sweetie i was just wondering why you left your child with your parent? DHS will give her back to you but as long as you can support both of you and then they will ask you question, but i would go back to that state to get her and let them know you are willing to be a mother to her and if you don't after a certain months or yrs they will think you don't want her and put her with a parent that will want her, i am sure that girl is scared and is waitting for you to come an save her, i bet she is really scared

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • Ok, you said you were on duty when this happened and you just got back. Does that mean you're military and your Dad had custody of her because you were deployed? If so, then I'm assuming you had a Family Care Plan and he's who was listed.

    If that's the case, then go to your base Legal right away, they will be able to help you with this. Legally, if you had no reason to believe that your Dad was going to be a bad guardian (I don't know if he is or not, or why she ran away), then it should be a lot easier to get her back. Because turning over guardianship temporarily to a family member because of deployments is NOT something that legally the State can hold against you.

    IF I read this right and this IS the case, PLEASE - go talk to your Legal Office - they can help you with this and point you in the right direction to getting this resolved as quickly as possible!


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • It all depends on the state and that state's laws. Actually it general boils down even further to like the County or whatever they have. The best thing for you to do is to either get valid, legal help or call the Courts yourself. Even if you don't have a # someone should be able to direct you.

    Answer by firenicecream at 7:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2009