So we got our daughter a chihuahua.... Tips please on training

This puppy was purchased by my neighbors teen 2 months ago, we met the puppy as soon as she came home and normally i hate chihuahua's with a passion (traumatic childhood experience), but this one is so sweet and she spent most of the 4th of July on my lap or following me around, she has been socialized in a daycare setting with 8-10 kids ages 1-4 around her all day 5 days a week. she is house trained also. The neighbor's daughter couldnt keep her and they asked if my daughter would like to have her since she loves the dog so much. So we got her for free. Now what I need to know is how to I keep her from becoming one of those evil dogs who snaps at everyone, I am going to continue to socilize her with people of all sizes take her to parks and out with friends so she can meet many people. We plan on walking her daily and establishing that we are dominent. I would love to hear what has worked for other chihuahua owners.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pets

• As long as you plan on asserting your dominance and you don't let go of that you should have no problems. If she barks a lot - the best way to curb that is to teach her to "speak" on command. Also, they are protective dogs and like to alert when they hear a noise that isn't usual to their environment. Let her give a 2 bark warning, then call her to you and praise her for coming. It will teach her to bark then come get you - that way she's not just barking she's doing an actual alert. We adopted a Chihuahua almost two years ago - they aren't hard if you establish dominance now and continue it. We still work on her stuff - like being food picky - but I always win and everyone brags about how UNLIKE a typical Chihuahua our Chica is. Good luck - you'll be fine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• they have basic dog/puppt training at petsmart.

and bring a lot of people around this dog

I worked as a vet tech for a while and I tell you the worst dogs were the chihuahuas, worse than any pit bull, any german shepard, any rot, the worse...no offense...but its just because they are small and have this little person/dog syndrome..so make sure to address that and socialise the dog
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You can make her gentle and sweet by constantly kissing her and bringing her close to your face, and nuzzling her, and your daughter too. They are often the kind of dog that prefers one person and dont like to be picked up because they are so small, they are scared of maybe being dropped by nature. Ours is grammas dog and he stays in her lap almost always, but he always greets the kids when they get home from school. Keep loving on her close up and dont ever let anyone drop her. But dont be surprised if she prefers just one person in the family the most, seems to be just how they are :) Good luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• TY, I honestly never thought i would ever own one I have always hated them and i mean seriously hated them and i am a pet lover and i rescue animals all the time. I am still a little shocked so is my hubby that we agreed to this lol.

I know it is possible to make this dog a good pet she is very young and her exposure to children has been huge since she has been raised in a home daycare for the last 2 months so hopefully that will give us a head start on her socialization.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Good training and a lot of socialization. Also make a point of messing with her toes and mouth for no reason. Little dogs tend to HATE that. Your vet will thank you. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would get her into a training class. Keep on socializing her around people and other dogs as well. Let her be a dog don't pick her up when you see other dogs or when she is afraid. That will teach her that you like that behavior and to continue it. Make her earns EVERYTHING. Don't pick her up when she is jumping on you make her work for what she wants.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thank you for all the advice it has been a huge help :) The last few days have gone really well we have taken her every where including stores that allow pets and soccer games, she has met other dogs at the park and is still spending time at the daycare with the kids. So far she doesnt bark unless she is excited to see someone (especially my husband) or when she is playing with the cats lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009