How can I help my son to use the toilet and get him out of diapers completly?

I have been potty training my 3 year old son for a few months now and some, very few, are successful and others are not so much. What can I do to help my son be successful with potty training and becoming diaper free within a matter of a few weeks to a couple of months?
We have tried the fruit loops, treats, candy, toys after so many days of using the toilet and staying dry most of the day. we can't really use pull ups on him because it leaves a massive rash all on his butt and front area and most of his body. even on his cheeks as well.
WE NEED SOME KIND OF HELP PLEASE. Thank you for any suggestions.

lilmama800

Asked by lilmama800 at 2:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can only speak from my own experience. I am the mom of 5. 3 of whom are boys. My oldest is 23 and I waited until he was almost 3, and things went fine, I gave him one M&M when he went. My now 4 yr old was easy too. His treat was a mini marshmellow. I do NOT use pull ups. They are glorified diapers and defeat the purpose. It took me about a weekend to train him. My baby is 3 Oct 6th. I can tell already, he is not ready. Boys are harder. I have learned this is something they will do when the time is right for them and only then. I will not push, force, or become frustrated. If this becomes a battle, he will win. You can lead a horse to water so to speak. GIve him time. Keep him in undies not pull ups and he will get there. Just be patient. There are many good sites if you google potty training boys, that may help you understand what is going through their little heads good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my son is my 4th child and my only boy. He refused to potty train until I stopped buying diapers and explained to him he was 3 and no longer a baby.
    I did use pull ups but only at night and they came off immediately when he woke up. Also reconize the signs of when he has to pee. Like playing with the privates is a sign my son is trying to hold it in because he's too busy.
    One more thing.....I realized that he has more accidents in regular underwear. so I bought boxers and boxer briefs and since the switch he hasn't had an accident
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I use cloth training pants. You can buy them at wal mart , target places like that. In the section by the cloth diapers & such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2009