Anyone else go overboard on saving some $ when it comes to baby clothes?

Okay so my son is 6 months old and i just dug out his size 12 months, and i am expecting again in April so i had to go sort through the clothes that i already have and size them up. When i first found out that i was prego with #1 i went garage sale crazy, then after he was born my husband would watch him on saturdays so i could go out for a few hours and go garage sale crazy again. I have enough clothing to clothe twins! While i was going through everything and placing my latest finds in other storage containers i realized just how much i have. I have clothes that will fit my child from birth - 5 t, there only being a few in the 5 t of course but either it was on sale, or cheap at a garage sale. after 24 months i have just jeans, a few shirts and jammies, because i know he's going to have diffrent interests when he's bigger. So has anyone else done this? Do you buy a few sizes up if it's on sale and pack it away for later?

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 2:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started to when she was born! I was set from when she was in premie to 18 mos. Now she's in 24 mos/ 2t and I have enough outfits for a week. I need to go garage saling and get her clothes! I get very picky about what she wears but she's starting to get stuff all over it so no sense in buying brand new clothes that she ruins the first day with a pen or dirt
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• yes.... i do that..... my girls are set all the way up to 4t......
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 3:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• thank god i was beginning to think i was nuts
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't because I never know what size any of my boys are going to wear a year from now! The younger two, I hand things down, obviously....but I still end up buying some because it seems my youngest is about one season off on sizes from his next older brother, even though there's only 11 months between them.

Right now, my oldest (he's 5 years) is in a 6/7. BUT! He cannot wear a regular 6 jeans. He wears a SLIM and I still have to use the adjustable tabs to pull the waist in! I never could have guessed that last year! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• yeah i go buy whatever i can get now for cheap just incase i cant in a few years:)
    mandie_jean

Answer by mandie_jean at 10:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• When I was pregnant I didn't buy anything over 12-18months. I did get ALOT gifts that size and up though. And it's stupid because my daughter is almost 7 months and is still in 3-6month stuff, and since nobody got me any small sizes her clothes are starting to look worn out lol.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• im weird...im a germaphobe so i cant get anything like that at garage sales even though id really like to. i didnt buy far in advance bc i didnt know how fast shed grow. she completely skipped over the 6 to 9 months and jumped into 12 months...shes only 7 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't stockpile really, because I'm afraid that what I buy for the next year won't fit when it's needed - my oldest grew almost 3 sizes last year, so she would have skipped over a whole bunch of stuff. The only time I do, is if I come across something like last year - I was in a store's clearance clothing section, and found a ton of long-sleeve polo shirts for 50 cents - in the 5T-sz 10 range. I picked up a bunch, various sizes & colors, because who knows what my kids will need for school plays & whatnot - and what they don't need is of course held back for DS since they are boys shirts. If someone gives us a bag of hand-me-downs I'll hang on to them, but I really don't intentionally buy stuff ahead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't go overboard, but I do buy things on the clearance rack from summer for next year etc. I get a lot of hand me downs and usually shop second hand stores any way since we are real big on recycling. i also the garage sale thing. The only new clothes my children get are for pictures and what others buy them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• oh me pick me! LOL when i found out i was preggo i got SUPER luck one of my friends had 3 boys and she was done having kids when i found out it was boy she gave me all the stuff she didn't need any more and im talking 1/2 still with tags on it all in great shape! so i sorted it out and out it in 20 gallon bins based on size. WELL i had enough untill he hit 3-6 months so then i started looking again and here on cragslist i found a lady who was selling 4 huge black garbage bags full of clothes for $30!!! shortly after that a mommy and me consignment shop opened by my hosue i went and looked and got some amazing deals. i took some stuff my kid wouldn't be wear to the consignment shop and have been using what i make there for more clothes! my son is in 6-9 month clothes and he has all the clothes he needs threw 18 months! plus we have some 24 month stuff and 2 and 3 T!! we plan on keeping the clothes till we are done with kids!
    MarksMommy09

Answer by MarksMommy09 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009