our son will be one years old on the 26th. How can we break him from sleeping with us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is tough to do but you just have to do it! Put them in their bed, and they have to learn! It is tough, but it is part of raising them, we can't always do what we want, we have to do what is best for them, but think of how much better you will sleep after this major task is accomplished!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i'm not a fan of the cry it out method, which i suppose is what rebecca is referring to. but it's totally up to you...

but you can try the book by elizabeth pantley The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers. there is also the no cry sleep solution for younger kids which might have some ideas to transition from co-sleeping as well.

my son never co slept but he did wake frequently and there are idea in the book for babies on that too.

good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My son was a co sleeper till just after his first birthday. I am also not a fan of letting them cry it out (DH and I had many heated discussions over this) so what I finally did was keep him up until he was absolutely exhausted (and have the same routine of playing outside, taking a bath, get in PJs and fed him) until he started to doze off and then I would put him in bed. Sometimes he would stay a sleep but more often as soon as he hit the bed he was up crying. Then I would rock him until he started to doze again and put him back in bed. We would repeat this until he would stay in his bed. It took a lot of work but after about a week he started just going to sleep when we put him in his bed.
    ABCmom6

Answer by ABCmom6 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• And this is another reason why we should not sleep with our babies. Think of the danger when you grow weary. A toddler just died with his babysitter sleeping in bed with him. If yours is in a crib in your room then you have to move the crib to his own room and use a monitor and go to him if he cries uncontrollably. I had to sleep on the floor below my daughters crib and hold her hand for her to sleep! And believe me it was a long summer. I don't believe in letting a child cry for extended periods of time but you can't rush in the second they do or they will learn that crying will bring the results they want. Back in bed with Mom.
    treece

Answer by treece at 10:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• ok so I just kind of went thro this. My son slept in his crib from birth till four months ago when he got sick for a week and slept with me. He then slept in my bed for two months (he is 15 months now). Then I tried everything but CIO to get him to sleep in his crib again for two months they I gave up and let him CIO. Actually getting to sleep initially in his crib was not a big deal. I would bathe him rock him sing him to sleep then stay next to his crib patting his back till he was out cold - usually the whole process was two hours, what happened would be that he would wake up in a few hours, I would be sound asleep and I would let him back into bed with me since at 2am I simply did not have what it took to get him back to sleep THEN stand next to his crib for half an hour. One night DH made me let him CIO, he cried for 20mins, I went up soothed him, left then he cried for 25 mins and went back down.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• After that night I put him to bed as normal (no crying) but in middle of the night would just go up soothe him then leave and let him cry, he never cried for more then 10 mins after the first night. Last night was night 5 of trying this method (I have been trying to get him back in his crib for two months now remember) and the first two times he woke up, I went up soothed him then left, no crying, third time he got up I went soothed him and he started crying when I left but had stopped by the time I was at the bottom of the stairs. Night 4 however was horrible, almost as bad as night 1, I'm hoping that last night was the break thro (all the moms I know told me it would only take 3 nights)

We have soothing music on that he loves and he always has his paci's (I swear I hear thro the baby monitor when the CD stops and he usually wakes up with half an hour)

KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• LOL YEAH MY DD IS ALMOST 3 AND AM STILL WORKING ON THAT. SHE HAS HER OWN RTOOM AND GOES TO BED IN HER BED(I HAVE TO LAYDOWN WITH HER) BUT A FEW HRS LATER SHE APPEARS IN MY BED. AHHHH
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009