How can i clean and pay attention to my toddler?

I'm always trying to clean my house top to bottom but everytime I start something or turn my back on my daughter she's always into something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you are not alone! Even just trying to put new sheets on the bed!!! Or I went to do dishes one day, came back and she had eaten between 4-6 birth control pills!!! I try to get her involved in the cleaning if I can. Like changing sheets, she hands me the pillow cases and I try to get her to put on one which gives me 10 mins to hurry up and put all the stuff on the bed! Or getting me dressed, she hands me what I ask for when I ask for it! I put her in the tub and clean the toilet, sink and floor, then do the tub when I'm in there with her (but can't clean it to my expectations because I don't want her to be hurt by chemicals). Try to get her involved... it seems to just be getting worse and my dd is 22 mos old. She wasn't hurt by the pills btw, apparently if she had eaten a whole pack or two, it would have been dangerous
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• im in the same boat as well.....lately ive realized its best to just clean the house when the kids are napping or in bed.....but the next day the house looks like a tornado went threw it because of my dd thats 27 months old
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 5:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I have a four year old, and a seven month old...it can be tough to keep up with better homes and gardens...so I deal with it.lol.It does help to make DD my Helpin Kid, she likes to wipe down the kitchen cupboards, and I spray the kitchen floor, let her dustmop.Keeps her busy while I do the Mom Stuff, chemicals and such. I also call a "Whirlwind" every hour and a half or so. It is where she grabs an empty cubby tub, and whirls through the house pickin up her toys and books, then she puts em away in cubbies and shelves in her room. I started that when she was almost 2 yrs old(then she needed waaay more direction than now, gotta be specific.they don't understand clean your room..they understand pick up Teddy and put him in his cubby) I also switch out toys once a month, and trade Totes in the garage for each kiddo..when she gets bored with somethin it ends up right in the floor, this keeps even her old stuff new. Good Luck!
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I am still working on this, but involve your toddler in your chores. My kids (2 and 3) love to help me! I give them a washcloth and have them "clean" the chairs or wash the floor. They love to put clothes in the dryer. I put them on the open lid and they push the clothes in. They bring me dishes to wash. Then when they get bored they go play with their toys. I am still trying to come up with more things for them to "help" me with.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Turn it into something she can "help" with. Give her a small spray bottle of water (this helps hand coordination too) and a washcloth. Let her spray the floor, cabinet, whatever and wipe. My DS also likes to "race" to see who can pick up the most toys, or I tease him and say "don't pick up ANY toys, I'm picking all of them up. It's my turn." He giggles and starts picking them up and I use some mock outrage. No, they won't learn to disobey you. Especially if you use a playful tone when using reverse psychology and your serious tone when you mean it.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 6:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• try to keep her involved giver her a dry rag and she her how to dust.....or clean when she takes a nap....or after she goes to bed ot before she wakes up.....it is possible to keep your house in order with a toddler...i have a toddler and a one month old...you just have to find ways to get it done....put a movie on for her while you clean and tell her to lay down on the couch and relax....try showing her how to put her toys away....things like that..best of luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My baby is only 6 months old but I still feel bad not paying attention while I clean. I try to put on music we both like and I put her in her little bouncer. She jumps up and down and while I'm cleaning I "dance" if you can call it that. She laughs and thinks I'm just goofing off with her. Now when she's walking around following me around, I'm sure it'll be more difficult, but I would probably buy her some little toys (for example a plastic tea party set for her to "clean" while I wash real dishes.)
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 8:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i always keep my guy busy be getting him to help. i give him a rag and put him on the tile and tell him to wash the floor haha. it keeps him busy
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I always cleaned when she was asleep. I'd save the "deep" cleaning for night like the scrubbing, dusting, bathroom, etc. During the day I'd just try to keep up on the basic cleaning ...dishes, laundry, and picking up toys. It worked for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I usually clean while mine are napping and then again after they go to sleep at night, but the things I do while they are awake I usually either have them help me or put them in my baby sling. Sometimes I will put them in their high chairs and let them color.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009