feeding newborn

how many times do you feed a newborn baby?? first time mommy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• as many times as they want
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I fed my dd every 2-4 hours. She was formula fed but I fed her when she wanted to eat and never on a strict schedule. If she didn't want it, she didn't have to eat it... if she cried, I always offered right after changing a dirty diaper. So pretty much, whenever they get hungry but usaully that is every 2-4 hours
    When baby comes, you will understand her feeding habits and know how to adjust!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• breast fed your looking at all day becuase you really never know how much they ge...forumla every 2-3 hours for the first 2 weeks or so then gradually go up to 3-4 hours...my son came home from the hopsital eating less than 2 oz of formula and by week 2 he was at 4 oz.....every 3-4 hours.....now he is one month old and still eating 4 oz.....i wish you the best of luck with your baby and hopefully you heal fast whether its vaginal or a c-section...but take time to heal....dont rush into anything....take it easy....Good Luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• formula fed babies will eat about half an ounce every few hours for the first few days, than make their way up to an oz than 2 oz than about 4 oz for about a month. they normally eat every 2-4 hours (formula tends to run towards the 4 hrs) after the first few days you'll start to notice the signs for your baby being hungry, so don't worry that you will overfeed or underfeed. and if you have a question don't be afraid to ask your pediatrician or your doctor, that is what they are there for. the nurses in the maternity ward are great too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I disagree that bf babies you're looking at all day. NOT meant as a bash on formula babies, just that this is a misconception about breast fed babies.

Basically, each baby is going to be different, but your little one is going to want to eat every 2-4 hrs to start. But look at it like this - they WILL let you know they're hungry :-) At first, if they cry, pick them up, check their diaper, and rock them for about a minute or maybe 2. If they aren't wet / dirty, they don't feel cold or over hot, and they're still crying (or nuzzling against you, rooting around trying to trying to nurse), then try to feed them.

In no time at all, you're going to know your baby's different cries and their own personal schedule, and you're going to do fine.

btw - you don't have to track how much a nursed baby eats. As long as they are wetting diapers and growing, and you nurse "on demand", they will be more than fine :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• oh, one other thing - whether you nurse or formula feed, my advice about the whole pick them up, check their diaper, etc, still holds true :-)

Trust me though, as long as you listen to what your baby is telling you - and believe me, there isn't a newborn alive that's going to go "oh, I'm starving here, but it looks like my mom's busy, so I'm just going to lay here quietly and be hungry" - they will let you know ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I breastfed both my kids and it was not "all day". They fed every two hours or "on demand". If they were sleeping, I did not have to get them up to eat. Either way you feed them, it will become easy for you to recognize when your baby is hungry. Don't worry, your mother's instinct will kick in and you will just know what you baby needs!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2009