Does this make sense??

So my son went to visit his bd last week. He wasn't supposed to come home until saturday, but on thursday his father calls and tells me he is sick. Horrible cough. So I meet him, and bring my son home. He did have a small cough, was congested and had a runny nose. But he was up playing- he didn't act sick at all. Friday was the same thing, just a cough, but he was acting fine, so I just gave him tylenol and figured it was a small chest cold. Saturday we wake, he had a horrible fever, wouldn't eat, and it seemed like he had a hard time talking. I took him to the ER. His temp, when we got there, was 104.7. They did xrays and swabbed for the flu. They decided he had an upper respiratory infection. They sent him home (his temp then was 101.3) with instructions to keep him on motrin and tylenol. This was four days ago, and he's still carrying a fever and a cough. Is this normal for an URI? He has a doctor's appointment Thurs.

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 9:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• so after thursday, I will know for sure. But I'm just getting worried because of the fever. I'm having to keep him dosed up to keep his temp down. And he's been running around without clothes on, in a chilly house...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing and this is the 2nd time in 3 months, luckily my 1year old only has a runny nose. This mess is def. going around, I feel like it will never go away and I'm pregnant.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you are able to keep the fever under control with medication and he's running around the house, I wouldn't worry too much about it; It's when you can't control the fever or when they are acting more "off" than usual when sick that you need to worry more. He should be fine until his appt. on Thursday, but if you can't control the fever, then you might want to call your child's doc's office for more advice.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• How old is he? My ped told me it can take much longer for a child under 4 to recover because there immune system is still immature. They get sick and then there immune system is weakened so the get reinfected with something else so on and so on. I was freaked out when my 4 year old threw up for 6 days and was not fully better for 8! I think I called every day! lol they probably hate me there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The general rule of thumb is that if you can keep the fever down with tylonol/motrin then it's not an"emergency". As a pediatrics office front desk rep my textbook response to this situation (which is SUPER common) is to keep giving him the medicine and schedule an appt at the next available opening. If his fever becomes resistant to the medicine call your doc back and let them know or take him back to the ER.
    As a mother I would be just as concerned, so I completely understand what you're feeling. Hold tight and keep up what you're doing... if he's anything like my kid he will make a miraculous recovery the morning of his appointment and the doctor will talk to you like you're nuts! :o/
    There's no better cure in my house than simply making a doctor's appointment... she always gets better the day of!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2009