Can you detail your nighttime bedtime routine?

Baths, book reading etc? How long do you spend with your kids and how
long does it take them to wind down and fall asleep? Do you stay in the room until they drift off to sleep or not?

Asked by 2coolmama at 9:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• My kids are 7 and 6, but their routines have been the same for as long as I can remember: 1 hour before bed (light out), one kid gets a bath. We do baths every other night here, for example tonight was DD bath night, so tomorrow DS will get his. 30 minutes before bed, change into night clothing (more for non-bath child); brush teeth, potty time (when younger diaper change) and bedtime story read by either Daddy or Mommy in our living room. 10 minutes before bed (lights out), each child goes into their room to have the non-reading parent tuck them in. Then lights out! Most nights within 15 minutes they are asleep... When they were younger they didn't leave or get up, but now with them older they may get up to get a drink or use the potty. If so they just go to the bathroom, handle that themselves and go right back to bed.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My kids are six, four and two. The two oldest share a room. We normally get the boys thier bath, then get pj's and lotion on(my youngest has excema badly). Then we brush teeth and sit and read for about 15 minutes. Before bath the kids are required to pick up all the toys everynight. Then after books we go potty say our prayers and hugs and kisses. We do not stay in the room w them. We turn out the light, shut door and leave!

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My little girl is almost 2. We eat dinner, take a bath (about 15 minutes to splash and play), PJs/teeth/comb hair/etc (10 minutes), bedtime stories (10 minutes), lights out and in bed.

I don't stay in her room. I never could. If I'm in the room, she will jump and scream, hoping I'll take her out of her crib. If I kiss her goodnight, she usually goes to sleep in a few minutes.

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My son is 19 months old...and it's pretty simple.
    Me: "Are you ready to go night night?"
    Him: "Yea"
    Okay. I give him something to drink, he lays down, he sleeps for 11 hours. LOL. We read books throughout the day and he gets his baths first thing in the morning, so no need for all of that at night. If he has been playing outside a lot he gets a wipe off before bed. At night he knows when he's tired and he goes to bed, we've never had the need for some long drawn out routine.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hi, at 7:30 I give them a snack, at 8 I give them a bath. Then at 8:30 I read them both a few books. They are in bed by 8:45. My 4 yr old goes to bed by herself. we tuck her in and give her a kiss goodnight and she is usually asleep by 9. My 2 yr old has asthma, so we have to use nebulizer before we go to bed. I still have to rock him to sleep, he's usually out by 11. He's really hyper and hard to calm down enough to get to sleep.

Answer by redtang912 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2008