Does anyone else keep their child home on his/her birthday?

My son's in kindergarten, it's his b-day and he's home with me and his siblings.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in

• My father used to take me fishing on my birthday. It was a big deal because my father NEVER took time off of work. But except for leap years my birthday always fell during spring break. Those years it fell on the Friday before spring break my mother would bring cupcakes at snack, then at lunch she would show up with mcdonalds and usually took me home after lunch. We would go fishing the next morning instead. My son is in the same boat and he will probably almost always get his bday off of school because we will be going on a trip to visit the grandparents right then because my mother throws a fit if we aren't there for our birthdays (my sons bday is 2 days after mine). I see nothing wrong with makeing it his special day.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Have Fun! :), My mom would get me out of school early I loved it, and it was a surprise b/c I didn't know when she was coming!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My mom would bake cupcakes or cookies for me to take to school, then have something planned after. My son's bday is in March and they have an early release that day, so I think he's still going to go. No need to miss school because it's their bday. I think he would want all that extra attention from his classmates anyway.
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No - I don't think there's any reason for him/her to miss school. I always take in a special treat for his/her class and they get to celebrate with their friends. They have fun without missing any important school information. Probably doesn't hurt in kindergarten, but I wouldn't want to set a precedent for down the road - what if he has an important test on his birthday in the upper grades?

Answer by missanc at 10:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I wouldnt want to get that started at kindergarten. I dont want my kids missing any school at all. If you did it this year tho, you can expect him to think you willl do this every year. DO you keep his siblings home on their birthdays also? I see school as a work place, and a irthday is not a reason to miss work is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No, but our school is a real stickler about attendance. Plus they have raffles for the kids with perfect attendance and the prize this year is a bike. My kids are begging to go to school...
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No, my kid's birthdays are in the summer, but I wouldn't let them miss school anyway. I'd bring in cupcakes or party bags and let him get the attention of his friends at school. We have something that evening usually, unless they have a big party on the weekend of the birthday.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 2:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My daughters birthday almost always falls on a saturday or a sunday so...yeah shes home, but no if it fell on a school day she would go to school just like its any other day. she misses enough days with her asthma so i think its better to send her to school but enjoy the day!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 4:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Nope. My older sons birthday is always during Thanksgiving vacation. That is not a reason to stay home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• no that is a dumb reason to keep a child home.. they don't go to school long enough already.. my children do not stay home unless clearly needed. My oldest son missed 3 days in 4 yrs of school due to the chicken pox. I wanted to send him but couldn't ..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009