smoking as a Christian

I have smoked for years and years, but recently due to breathing problems have quit. One thing I have used to help motivate me are those pictures of the black lungs and stuff they have caused by smoking. It got me thinking the other day. At my baptist church at least they talk about treating your body like a temple, but I have never heard anyone speak out against smoking. But thinking about what smoking does to your insides, I have to say makes me sick. I had never thought of it this way, but now I feel like I have been destroying my temple, and I do personally feel like it is not something God would be happy about. What do you think of it? Do you think smoking is going against the teaching that your body is a temple?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• had you been mormon you would of heard more about the word of wisdom which to us a guideline on how to treat our bodies. we have lessons on this and you can't go to temple without upholding the word of wisdom. i'm not saying that mormons don't smoke i'm sure there are but i would have to say that the number that do are very slim. especially if they are good members who attend church on a regular basis. according to word of wisdom you can't smoke, drink, tattoos, peircings etc. we do not critizie anyone who does though. we have mormon friends who do just about everything your not suppose to do in the word of wisdom. although they are falling away from the church but has nothing to do with how they are treated but their choice to let sin tare them away. the lord can't flourish where sin is present. i'm not sure we consider these things sin but they are not directions we should treat our bodies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It's not a good thing at all, and I understand what you mean about the temple, I grew up Baptist, but I don't think were going to hell b/c we smoke, but we shouldn't put harmful things in our bodies, but we all do in one way or another.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm not a Christian but I am a smoker.  The way I look at it, I'm going to die sooner or later, if smoking doesn't kill me then something else will. 

My body is not a temple, it is an amusement park.  It gives me plenty of pleasure and lots of thrills and every once in a while it makes me hurl.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Smoking is a sin. Smoking has mastered you. You are a slave to the cigarette. Yes, Christian's bodies are temples. You can quit smoking with the help of Jesus Christ.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't think smoking is good for you, I don't know about a sin, maybe I guess. I don't smoke, I can't stand being around it. Luckily I don't have to be. If my husband did, I would want him to quit, for the sake of his health. As for anyone eles, it is their choice, they are taking risks that I would rather not. I had my kids later in life, so I want to live for as long as I can.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm so glad that God has revealed this to you to help you quit smoking. Many of us think this, but we refrain from saying it because we really dont want to pick on you smokers. We all have things we do that we shouldn't do. The Bible instructs us to lift each other up, not to worry about the splintter in the eye of our neighbor. Very glad you have decided to quit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I am glad too for you. I am a Christian but never smoked. I do know from others how hard it is to stop. So praise God for your success.

As far as our bodies being a temple, I think this is probably one area we all need help in. It's really easy for me as a non-smoker to point my finger at a smoker and judge, or the person that drinks too much, but what about my over eating, or my caffene adiction?

So good job, we can all learn from it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• teamquinn
    I am glad too for you. I am a Christian but never smoked. I do know from others how hard it is to stop. So praise God for your success.

So good job, we can all learn from it.

The OP needs strong encouragement. She needs to be told a sin is a sin. It sounds to me that the OP wants to please the Lord. If she is convinced that smoking is a sin, I think that she will quit because she loves the Lord. Any kind of addiction is a sin. Again, calling sin a sin isn't wrong. I can hardly believe the attitude of some posting Christians here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Melody77, The OP said she goes to a Baptist church. Baptists believe in only the Holy Bible. Baptists don't believe in another gospel as the Mormons do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009