who should get up?

i wonder if my husband work 5pm-12am and im off for 6 weeks, and he sleeps till about 3:30pm when he gets off. who should get up to feed the baby in the late morning, like @ 4am? if i've been with her all day?? & for the people that say me.. when should my husband spend time with her if he sleeps allday?? this is a 3 weeks old baby...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always got up and fed the kids when they were babies. Although I think your husband should get up a lot earlier than 3pm, he could sleep till 10 or 11 and get pleanty of sleep, thta way you can have a break. When my son was that little, my hub was the same way, so I would just make sure and TELL him, not ask, that I had errands to run and that he needed to be up to take care of the baby, no he didnt' like it, yes sometimes he was a big baby about it, but tough, he got over it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You should get up with the baby. He would only have been asleep for a couple hours at that point, and you could go to bed earlier. There's no reason for him to be sleeping that many hours - it's actually not good for you to sleep too much. An average adults sleeps around 8-9 hours/night. One or two hours more might be okay, but not 14-15 hours/night!! When he gets up around 10 am or so, he would have plenty of time to spend with the baby.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Does he go to bed right after he gets home? Or is he still up at 4am? If he's still up, then he should feed the baby. If not, he needs to get up a lot earlier than 3:30 pm. What about his days off? Maybe he could get up with the baby then to give you a break
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• well, I was the only one to get up with our son but he also had colic and my husband had zero patience so it really wasn't a question but I think BOTH of you are working - you need to figure out times where each of you get up -this will make the transition better or easier when you go back to work! Moms without enough sleep get overwhelmed too!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• does he seriously sleep from 1 am until 3:30 pm? why is he doing that? could he be depressed or have a medical problem, or is he being lazy and selfish? you should encourage him to go to be around 1 or 2 and then get up at 10 so that he can spend some time with his child. :)

i have always gotten up with my son because i breastfeed. but my husband always tries to help as much as he can. he works 2nd shift a lot too. he usually will work 3-11 or 11-8
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I always get up...but Im nursing lol. Sometimes he will get up and hand me her.

But in your situation, I think he could get up and do it. ESPECIALLY if he is sleeping untill 3 in the afternoon! That is rediculous.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think you should get up at 4... because he would have only a few hours of sleep at that point. But he needs to get his LAZY butt out of bed WAY before 3:30! He needs to help you and give you a break.
    I work evening shift too I get to bed at around 12:30-1:00 and I still get up with my son at 6:30 when he gets up... there is no reason your DH needs to sleep later than 8:00
    SO you get up at 4:00 and do that feed and he next the next one and YOU get to sleep in.... if he needs to he can take a nap later in the day before work when the baby takes a nap.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i got up with our dd for the first 4 months....she stopped taking bottles at night at 3 months so after that he just gets up if she fusses and gives her her pacifier. im not a night person and he can go right back to sleep while id be up if i were to wake that early. im a sahm and hes in the military...he likes spending time and doing things with her after ive had her all day.
    metallicakh39

Answer by metallicakh39 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If he's up anyway, he should do it and let you sleep while you can, since he'd be sleeping later regardless. If he goes to sleep right away, then you should do it most nights. I had a rule when my first was born that my husband would have to get up with the baby on one of his days off; that way he'd still have one full day off from work/baby, and I'd get a day off, too. But if you're home all the time and he works, it only makes sense for you to take most (not all) of the responsibility.

And I agree with others that he should get up earlier. Unless he doesn't go to bed until 5 or 6, in which case, again, he should take care of the baby since he's awake anyway. But 10 hours of sleep is more than enough, unless he has medical problems, in which case he should be doing something about it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Here's what my hubby and I did. When he went back to work and I was still home, I took the 2 am feed and he took the 6 am feed. That way, he was up anyway getting ready for work and could spend some time with our daughter. He put her back to bed and she sleep for a few more hours then I got up with her. It worked out so we both got 7-8 hours of sleep each night. I'm sure you would work out something like that with your hubby too. Just talk to him about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2009