What should I do about these dogs?

My son is 10 months old and crawling. My husband works all day and I am a stay at home mom, so I take care of pretty much everything in the house. We have 2 dogs, both 3-year-old mutts that we rescued-one from the pound and one from an abusive owner. We love our dogs. They are happy dogs, they love to play and both of them are wonderful with our son-they play with him and he smiles and laughs at them all the time. The female dog in particular is very protective and watchful of our son. My husband trained both dogs to potty ( both pee and poop ) outside in the morning and again at night. They both know that ringing the bell at the back door means they have to potty and we will let them outside to do so ( we have a fenced in backyard ). Even though they both know how to do their business outside, on a rare occasion one of them will poop on our livingroom carpet. ( more )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Can you put up a gate to keep them out of the living room? If that's the only place they go potty on the floor, maybe just ban them from that room.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• (cont)
    When we are gone, both dogs stay in the tile-floor laundryroom because they can't get into anything in there. I watch these dogs all day when my husband is at work, and I make sure they get food, water and trips outside to potty. Sometimes even though they potty outside, one of them will still poop on the carpet in our livingroom, and it drives me crazy! My son crawls and plays in there! Me and my husband always clean the messes by taking the poop and flushing it down the toilet, throwing the trash ( soiled paper towels ) in the trash bag in the dumpster. We then use Woolite to spot clean and we also have a huge Bissell steamcleaner for the carpet. The stains don't stay, but I don't know what to do about these dogs! I don't want to give them away-they are like our kids- our son loves them and they love him. But I try SOOO hard to keep a clean house and I don't know what to do! Any advice is welcome please!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I have three dogs and foster so most of the time I have four dogs. I have one dog that was a kenneled breeder for the first four years of her life and she will still have accidents in the house. My fosters are usually not housetrained when they first get here either. All you can do it exactly what you are doing. You clean it up and spot clean the carpet. Your son is fine and your house is not dirty. I have two kids that are now 4 and 3 and they are no worse off for having a few dog messes in the house. If it is bothering you so much why don't you let them out every hour. That will give them plently of oportunities to go outside. It is really not that big a deal and definatly not a reason to get rid of a dog. Your son is not playing in poop, just on the floor where poop has been cleaned up. Just wait til you are potty training him and you have kid pee and poop on the floor-lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I wonder if you can crate train them at this age? Does anyone know?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Should be possible if they accept their crate as their private spot, where they don't want it to get messy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• are they fixed? if not it could be a form of marking thier territory maybe? also a dog typically will no poop where they eat....get a couple of chew bones and put them on the spot they pooped right after you clean it and then let them see and eat it....it could encourage them not to do it...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• our dogs are not crate trained. I don't think it would work with these dogs. Both dogs are fixed, but I don't think being fixed changes their actions much because they hump eachother all the time LOL They are just a huge pain. Barring them from the livingroom would be very difficult because we have a very open floor plan. There are not really doors, more like wide entry-ways. A friend of mine suggested that I put them in the laundryroom again, when I need to divert my attention to doing dishes ( this is when they most commonly potty in the house now ), but I can't because I also do a LOT of laundry. I do laundry all day everyday practically, and the heat from the dryer is too hot and seems cruel-not to mention the room would stink badly. There are no other rooms in the house I can put them in where they wouldn't tear something up, and they have no doghouses... grrr wtd......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My main question is, why are they pooping in the house when your there? Just letting them out in the morning and at night is not enough, if you are home and have a fenced in yard they should be able to go out anytime they want to. It will releive stress from you knowing that they are outside playing, plus they will be more tired at night time and less likely to get into other things. Keep in mind no matter how much you train a dog not to have accidents, sometimes they will. At times it may be out of spite but other times they are doing it because something is wrong or they don't feel good and that is the only way for them to let you know. Try just letting them out more you may be surprised how well they adapt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Try putting a baby gate across the door of the laundry room when they are in there. That way the door is open and the heat can get out but when you can't watch them they are contained. We do the opposite with our dogs. We have the gate at the laundry room to keep the dogs out and let the heat out of the laundry room where the cat food and litter boxes are. I can step over the gate with laundry in hand, the cats can get in and out and the dogs can't get in.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009