Mornings SUCK!

MY DS almost 16 does not like to get up in the morning and is a total ASS when he finally gets up. He refuses to wake himself up so I have to go in multiple times. I do not raise my voice I just say "its time to get up" Then when he does get up 5 minutes before its time to leave he will say something like " I will just go to school hungry" I then said if you would get up when you are suppose to you would have time to eat. I am at my whits end. I am tired of this fight. Not sure weather to just let him sleep and suffer the consequences with the school. Any thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 10:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You need to send him to bed earlier or something, I been seeing your post and he is really making your life hard on you. Tell him to get up the 2nd time you have to go in RAISE your voice. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Go in twice and if he doesn't get up then ya let him suffer the consequences when he is sitting there after school or suspended or left back there's no one to blame but himself. You may want to make him go to bed earlier. oh and get him some cereal bars and take things away if he doesn't get up. That's what happens in my house and let me tell you his ass is out of bed cause once the PSP and TV etc is gone. There's nothing to do and he is setting at home ALL weekend when everyone else is out chillin SUCKS. GL MOMMA

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You could always do what my in-laws did to my DH when he was like that. They would go in the first time nice. The second time they would pull off the covers and get a little louder. The third time the mattress got pulled onto the floor. If it got to the third time, when he got home from school his mattres was not in his room and he slept on the floor until he got up in the morning the first time, then he would get his mattress back. They only had to take his mattress twice-after that he got up on his own. He knew they weren't messing around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• get a fog horn can....LOL no im kidding...but i agree with the other posters...put your foot down...send him to bed earlier, and then nicely wake him up...get a little meaner on the second and third times...also tell him if he can start getting up ON HIS OWN he can have certain privelages you normally wouldnt do...get him motivated!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Get an alarm clock, he is going to be an adult in a few years, time to get up on his own. Yes, let him suffer, we don't want to see them suffer, but we pay in the end. They have to know you are not going to put up with it anymore. You mean business, let him be late. He will learn.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• blueeyedgrl2377- you have a valid point with the air horn! LMAO

my brother mark hated getting out of bed, was ALWAYS late for everything... my dad didn't get an air-horn, he got his bugle (ca 1969) out and played revelry at 0600 for a week ... he was in the AF in nam. anyway, thats aside from the point.

being "nice" doesn't always work. especially with a 16 year old boy...

good luck, i'm dreading those years- i remember how i was. oh god, i'm in trouble!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Our son is acting like the parent, telling his sister and I" Are we ready yet" in the mornings. Pick me up at such and such time over and over, correcting my disipline techniques , he is just annoying, but I have to laugh as I write this.
    Lil605

Answer by Lil605 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Alarm clock! I had two children like that. It was simple. Set and wake up to your alarm clock. Simple and easy. If I have to wake you up, it will be unpleasant. If I had to get you to school cause you missed your bus, you were grounded for the day, which meant no TV, cell phone, video games, or computer. It took three screw ups to get them to do it.
    If you set your mind to the theroy...no ifs, no ands, no buts its going to be this way, it will happen.
    As to the attitude, I just ignore it. "They're not morning ppl".
    Oh and they went to bed at 9 pm until they could get up on their own!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Getting him up is not your job.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009