Why is it if you are confident

Your selfish and conceited?
Why cant you just be happy with yourself with out being told you are full of yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think because women used to be thought of as meek, with men being the dominent sex, but now that women are coming out into their own, some people view it as conceited. Just like how some old fashioned moms who stayed home with their kids until they were grown think that women that work outside the home are selfish, when they are not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Well there is a difference. Someone who is conceited will brag about their status, the things they have, the clothes they wear, the kind of house and car they drive. Someone who is self confident walks with their shoulders back, doesn't allow negative comments to affect them, and feels secure in their own skin. They don't feel like they're ugly or less than anyone else so they don't feel the need to brag about what they have. I don't know what you are referring to by asking this question, but I hope this helps to answer it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Im very confident and I know Im beautiful and I work my butt off for everything I have but I still get toldIm ful of myself.
    I have even been called a whore because I never have problems talking to guys ( I am married and never cheat , I just dont back down from guys )
    I have alot of guy friends and never have done anything.
    It seems like the more confident I am the more I hear those things I just wanted to know why is it that confidence means your full of yourself. It seems just pointless and not to sound ful of my self but sounds like jealousy .
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• sounds like jeolousy to me too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think that some people mistake confidence for being boastful or prideful. You can be overly confident but beleive that you are just confident. But you do not appear so to others becuase of how you behiave. Does that make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It has been my experience that confident people are humble and tolerant and joyful --what you're describing strikes me as insecure, actually.

They might sound all blustery and full of themselves, but they're trying to control how other people see them (and, as usual, giving 100% the opposite impression they're trying for).

For example: I'm confident and I don't apologize for my opinions, ever. I am a (certified by Mensa) genius. I make a lot of mistakes and find them both fascinating and humiliating. I absolutely don't know everything and one of my most common phrases is 'I haven't got a clue.'

A friend's mother, otoh, knows everything, but is a total attention junkie --she'll change her opinion depending on who's around and who she wants to impress. She's a liar --she'll make stuff up to sound (she thinks) important or smart. It's funny and pathetic to watch. 'That's not what you said last time...' Ha ha!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2009