What to use instead of iron tablets 3X daily?

TMI:? Due to 4 months of long dysfunctional bleeding with only 2 ten days of non bleeding. I'm told to take iron 3 times daily. It gives me bad uncomfortable side effects! Is there anything else I can do instead? I'm jobless & have no insurance! I'm hoping for natural ways or any decent tips you may kindly share! Thank you for any Care!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Health

• what kind of iron do you take? i have to take it 3 times a day too but i take this stuff called SlowFe you can get it at walmart
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Iron shouldn't be expensive. If you aren't working in most states you can get Medicaid. There are clinics that charge on a sliding fee and often they give you meds for free. Since you have no income it would be free.

You can eat meat and other food high in iron. Can't get more natural than that. As long as your hemaglobin is above 10 and you have stopped bleeding you could eat a diet rich in iron and your iron store will slowly recover.

If it's constipation thats the problem, there is medicine for that.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It would be healthier to eat iron-rich foods (cheaper than supplements, and avoid things that deplete iron (free)...

Iron-rich foods include all meats, beans and lentils, shellfish and whole grains. Eaten at the same time as acidic foods (particularly vitamin C, but it's hard to get one without the other) like tomatoes, apples, lemons and limes, bodies can absorb more than usual. Simmering acidic foods like tomato sauce in unglazed cast iron can increase the iron available, too.

Caffeine interferes with iron absorption, and in some people so does wheat (all kinds --pasta, bread, baked things, commercial soups and gravies). Phosphorus (found in pop like cola and root beer) binds with iron, making it unavailable and so does oxalic acid -found in spinach and broccoli, so no matter how much iron there is, the body can't absorb it. If they're eaten at the same time as iron-rich foods, they'll interfere, too.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• A good way to take iron tablets is swallow it with orange juice- that is supposed to help it absorb better. When I needed to have more iron in my diet I ate multigrain cheerios - they have a high % of iron per serving. Liver is supposed to be high in iron. You may want to google iron rich foods and see what others come up.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Floradix
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Eat an iron-rich diet; be sure to have a vitamin C souce with your iron; the C increases the absorbtion of the iron. You can find a listing of iron-rich foods here: www.soystache.com/iron

Contact me offlist if you would like meal or recipe ideas

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2009