What are good ideas for small toddler meals or snacks?

I am thinking about feed my 17 month old like 5 small meals instead of the regular 3 meals a day. Any ideas on what to give him and how much? He never eats much lunch or dinner, just breakfast. But on the weekends when daddy is home he snacks all day. Whether it's junk or fruit or even things like baby carrots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lets see, we do yogurt with fruit, apples with peanut butter, celery with peanut butter and raisins on it (however my son is 2 and 1/2 and has all his teeth, so I don't know about your child and celery), fruit salad, mini bagels and cream cheese (they have a great variety of cream cheeses that have fruit in them, or you can just top with fruit), turkey and cheese rolls, my son loves to make his own trail mix; he takes cereal, goldfish crackers, raisins, marshmallows, and sometimes M&M's, and shakes it up, he loves that....granola bars, nutrigrain bars, animal crackers....

let me think for a minute and I can come up with lots more stuff...

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 11:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• corn, mac n' cheese, cheese sticks, green beans, cut up nuggets, gold fish, yogurt melts. My newest thing is we buy go-gurt and freeze it and call them popsicles. She loves them!
    babyg34

Answer by babyg34 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You can take cold leftover meat like steak and shave it ino very thin slices. My grandson loves this. Rice, sweet potato.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh yeah, pasta (we choose fun shapes) with butter, tomato sauce or alfredo sauce, cheese and crackers, peanut butter on crackers (we tend to use peanut butter a lot because it has a lot of protein in it and my son isn't a big fan of meat , except for chicken) Cheese quesadillas... pancakes (you can make fun shaped pancakes by using metal cookie cutters, my son loves it when his pancakes are shaped like dinosaurs), veggie dippers with some sort of dressing (whatever your child likes) we use carrots, broccoli, and snow peas...

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 12:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Food, all kinds --mostly vegetables.

I love that guide for a healthy diet --I think by the author of In Defense of Food.

There is no reason not to give him 3 tbsp of dinner (whatever that may have been) three hours later. Leftover roasted root vegetables are a fan fave around here --all children seem to love the dark sweetness of roasted (or bbq'd) veg. A small portion of whatever is a meal is a mini-meal.

I'm curious about the conventions we have in North America about 'timed' foods -chips at night, eggs or baked things in the morning, fish for dinner, sandwiches at noon. There is no reason not to eat chicken wings at breakfast, in Japan breakfast is usually fish or beans, and 'snacks' often include beans in one form or another. In India 'snack' foods are unheard of, but meals come with a handful of different condiments (including potato chips that they invented 1000 years ago).

Shoot for 3 food groups each time.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I just always try to include one serving of protein (bean, meat or cheese), two servings fruit/vegetable and one serving of grain in each meal.

So yesterday I fed our twins; mozz cheese, bananas and toast for breakfast. Chicken (real chicken diced, not nuggets) peas and crackers for lunch, quesadilla with cheese, bell peppers and chicken for dinner with apples and honey for dessert.

Today they had pears, black beans and english muffin with avocado for breakfast. Chicken with a tiny bit of barbeque sauce, steamed cut green beans, grapes and crackers for lunch. And I think I will make them barrilla picoliini (mini) brand pasta with parm cheese for dinner with some steamed carrots and a wheat roll for dinner. The pasta is already mini size so I wont have to cut it up. I buy it in bulk whenever its on sale for $1.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 3:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh yeah I forgot to add that I usually go with the fist size portion rule. I give them portions that are the size of their fist and no more than 3-4 portions per meal. 1 portion of protein and always 2 portions of veggie or fruit. They should always get double veggies and fruit not meat or grain. So if they get two diff kinds of protein,like meat and cheese, both combined should not be bigger than the size of their fist. Same for the grain. We are really trying to instill healthy habits in our children and to avoid obesity. These are all suggestions from our nutritionist.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 3:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009