How many minutes do you breast feed your one year old?

When you are feeding do you stop your baby or he stops drinking when he is done?
I feed my one year old 10 mints and I stop him. I just wanted to know what you do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let her nurse as long as she wants. Sometimes that's just a sip here and there... less than a minute and other times (like at bedtime and naptime) it's for longer. She almost never nurses longer than 5 minutes on her own, though. She's a power nurser :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Total for the whole year, or at a time?

How many minutes do you eat? I mean, do you time yourself while you're eating lunch and stop after X minutes 'because that's enough'?

It is fairly ordinary for distracted and busy 1yos to greatly diminish the amount of time they spend nursing... and then resume a pattern of nursing that looks like a 6mo when they're about half way through the year. But this also matches their normal growth pattern: they tend to hold their weight and just get taller for the year between one and two, so they need a lot less food than they did when they were busy doubling their weight in 6-12 months.

Since you can have no idea how much food they're getting when they nurse, and absolutely no idea how many calories are in what they swallow (because it changes rather dramatically throughout the day, and each feeding), the time involved is probably irrelevant --even if it is something you can measure.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I just nurse when she wants and how long. Mine is 20 months. If your not ready to stop I would just do what you want. :)
    babyg34

Answer by babyg34 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation. Most of the time it is best to let the child end the feeding. If it is a difficult time to nurse then it is fine to end the feeding.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• We nursed till 18 months and I generally let my son decide when to start & end feedings.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 12:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Don't go by the time. I let DS (15mos) nurse until he wants. Now, I'll tell him, time to go to sleep. If he's ready, he'll latch off n go to sleep. When he's not ready, he won't latch off or whimper. BTW, he usually nurses b4 going down for a nap or to sleep at night.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm pretty sure clocks were invented after breasts...

Since you can't tell at all what the composition of your milk is, you have no idea how much of what nutrients he's getting--but he does. When he's had enough he'll stop. If you stop him, he'll lose his body's sense of satisfaction. It's one step away from there to 'clean your plate even if you've already overeaten' and from there the land of lifetime obesity is within sight.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009