young boys and public restrooms.....

do you (would you) allow your son to go into the men's public restroom by himself?

and....

if not, what age do you think its inappropriate to take him into the ladies room?... or safe for him to go into the men's room?

jodys-jody

Asked by jodys-jody at 11:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son is about to turn 5. It really depends on where I'm at. If I'm at the grocery checkout and the bathrooms are straight ahead I send him in the ladies bathroom. A woman is more likely to help my son and a man....well i don't trust them, who knows they could have a camera phone and snap a quik pic of my son.
    Some bathrooms, like the gas station ones, He goes in by himself and I wait outside. However if the woman's is occupied and I have to pee then we both go in the men's. I lock the door use the toilet and my son uses the urinal,lol, works for us.
    My son will use the ladies bathroom in bigger places until I grow a little trust in men.
    Pedifiles are actually leaning torward boys and away from girls!!!...I heard that and plus with camera phones...well you know what? my son will not be a victum as long as I can help it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• it would depend on his age, really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I started letting my oldest son go into the men's room alone when he was about 6. BUT ... I stand right outside the door and he knows to yell (LOUDLY) if he needs me for anything. I always (even still) tell him to use the bathroom before we leave to go anywhere, but if he HAD to go, I thought by that age he was too old to go with me into the ladies' room.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 11:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh wow, I haven't thought about that yet- he might be going in with me in public til he's 15! lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm still trying to figure this one out. It makes me nervous because standing outside the door and listening for him will not work for me. I'm hearing impaired after all. He's only 15 months old, so I have some time to figure it out.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I started letting my boys go in the men's room alone at 5, they didn't want to go into the ladies room anymore. I just stood outside the men's room door and listened for them. If I felt they were taking too long I would open the door and ask if they were ok. Some men will give you dirty looks when you open the door but who cares, I also had no problem walking into a men's room if I felt my son needed me. Most places now have family bathrooms which are great , they didn't have them when my boys were little.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• This is why I love "family bathrooms" that way if I drag my 12 yr old son in with me, it is fine and expected. Walmart has them...every puplic place should. What about men having to take a daughter into a mens room because he is the only one with her. At least in the ladies room the boy is not going to see exposed body parts. The daughter is bound to get an eye full in a mens room. I say safety first and anyone who has a problem with my choice to take a child...even a slightly older child in the bathroom with me...can go...lick!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009