How can I can my 15 month to stop hitting.

When he gets exctied he hits, usually in the face and its hard too. Sometimes he will even do it with strangers. I dont know why and how to make it stop!!

Gracecclip

Asked by Gracecclip at 11:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To be honest its going to be trial and error here.....I tried the whole smack him back thing and it worked for a while now he just hits harder so i have a time out chair that sits in the hallway with nothing around him but air and that seems to be helping
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 11:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• When he hits say (with a lot of expression) "OW that hurts mommy, OW!" When he hurts himself (he falls or bumps his head) say the same thing "OW that hurt (his name)". You're trying to teach him the connection between ur pain n his. Also, try to catch b4 it happens. If u know he's in a situation where he's going to get really excited, don't let it get to the point where he'll hit. Hold his arms against his chest. You will struggle with him but it will help him release his energy. Ur not hurting him just holdig him. I'm learning to do this with a 2yo I work with. These ideas will have a more long term effect but will take a while to see the results. Good luck!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Your job, as the adult who knows your little guy has no self-control and no understanding of other people's experience, and no fine motor control at all is to keep him safe.

Part of keeping him safe is stopping him from climbing out 15th floor windows, or biting a sleeping dog's nose, or playing in traffic. Another part of it is keeping him from learning that he's a cruel bully who doesn't care about other people's feelings --because it he keeps being able to hit them, it's what other people will tell him he is.

Right now he is a normal toddler who is not being supervise closely enough. You need --someone needs-- to be so close to him and so aware of what he's doing that you can stop him from being able to hit anyone. Little kids telegraph all of what they're thinking, through their whole bodies --they pull their hands way back to hit or throw, and you have the time to catch their hands way before they make contact.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009