The woman if front of me at the grocery store just paid with food stamps and then loaded her groceries into an Escalade..WTH?

How is this even possible...she had her nails done, hair weaved and highlighted, nice clothes, great shoes, Coach bag...paid with a cash assistance card thingy...and then drove off in a brand spanking new Escalade. How the heck to people get away with this...where do I sign up??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep, my freind used to live in the HUD houses and she would tell me people would be bringing big screen TV's Expensive rims on there cars, it was crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• That's what I would like to know?? Maybe the food was her moms or something and she's disabled... I doubt it, but it's a nicer thought...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• if her boyfriend makes really good money she doesnt have to say he lives with her and she can just say she is a single parent with kids and they just go by her income, not his but if you are married you have to put both of you on the application. We are both on my application but thats because I have no income and on his checks it shows he makes 2.50hr and like 300 a week in tips, but he makes more he just only has to claim 8% of sales on his check so we get food stamps but I drive a 99 alero not a esclalade.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Don't let all that mislead you, I buy for my mom with food stamps, she might have been doing the same for her mom or relative.

Answer by older at 11:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't understand it either, but not all of us have those luxeries, some of us are actually suffering and need the help, I don't have food stamps but I need them, I don't have a cell phone I'm liviing at my moms and I'm pregnant with my second child, have been looking for work, and I'm a good deserving person. People like that make me sick when there are people who need help and can't get it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You don't know her situation. Yes, she could be using the system, but then again, maybe not. Did you ask her? Do you know her story?

Not everyone who is poor have ALWAYS been poor. I'm on food stamps, but I drive a nice car, I have a 54" HD TV, I have some jewelry (a lot of it has been pawned, but I still have some sentimental items), and I have nice clothes. I also fix my hair and nails. I could have been that lady you saw (but probably not, since I drive a minivan, not an SUV). What you don't know is that my husband lost his job about eight months ago, and he had to take a job paying half as much. We owned all of our nice things BEFORE we lost half our income, and although we've sold a lot of it, we still have a lot of things that don't fit the typical stereotype of someone on public assistance. I know our story is pretty common, so you're going to see a LOT of people who are "newly poor". Try not to judge...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I have a neighbor like that, makes me SICK
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• OP, if you need the food stamps why not apply for them? I am sure there are a lot of people that shouldn't get help that do, the system will always be exploited but don't assume by seeing someone like you did, there is usually a lot more to any story.

Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Your assuming its her truck? Also, many people puchase stamps from those that have but they're not on them.
    Ministerswife

Answer by Ministerswife at 11:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i have a mustang an im on foodstamps but thats bc my factory closed an i havent been able to find a job since but the car was paid of but i did loose my house ughhhh stupid economy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2009