Why is hip hop and rap all about stealing, sex, drugs and violence?

You don't hear those negative sentiments in other types of music half as much as you hear it in rap and hip-hop? Why is "urban" music so dang negative? I don't even want my kids listening to this crap. Don't bash, just tell me why this is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Entertainment

• It's the life they live in, that's all they got to sing about, and brag about!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• its how life has been for them and also for alot of teens u ust dont see it bc ur the adults an there very good at hiding it thats why teens like it so much bc they can relate
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Actually, sex, violence and drinking is in other music. One that came to mind when I read this question was a song by the Texas Tornadoes- Who were you thinking of when we were making love last night? Toby Keith- Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses, Miranda Lambert- I'm gonna show him what little girls are made of, Gunpowder and lead, George Micheal- I want your sex, Carrie Underwood-We left the club right around three o'clock in the morning His Pinto sitting there in the parking lot Well it should have been a warningI had no clue what I was getting into So I blame it on the Cuervo Oh where did my manners go? As for drugs, listen to all the music from the 60's! So I think each genre of music has the same sublect matter, just expressed in a different manner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Most but not all Hip - Hop is just like that. And you'll be shocked to know that some of those artist don't even come from "urban" areas. Kids all over love hip-hop and if you forbid your son/daughter from listening to it chances are if they like it enough they're still gonna listen to it regardsless. Either at a friends house or other places as well.

Instead of forbiding your child how about you actually listen to some of what he listens too on a regular basis and then that way you can actually tell him that rather than you not allowing him to listen to any of it you're choosing some songs/artist which seems to be okay. Remember tho nothing in hip hop is squeeky clean (not in all music these days for that matter) so keep an open mind. When your child starts calling you a bitch or a hoe and falling out at church cuz he drank too much the night before then it's time to re-evaluate the situation.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think because it excites bored middle class kids so it sells. Everyone wants to feel like a badass sometimes, whether you can relate or not. If people bought uplifting, all rap would be positive. I love rap/hip hop when its either fun, uplifting or making a statement against the problems of the world. I've also gotten into urban desi music, which is hip hop mixed with Indian (bollywood) sounds. Its so innovative. You just don't hear that kind of creativity in other music genres that often. Music isn't going to effect who your kid is, it just gives them an outlet to express a small aspect of who they are. Trust me, I'm a white 25 year old girl who didn't even drink til college and never do drugs- but its fun to hear those energetic beats (and not too hard to ignore that negative since they talk fast or in innuendos) and relax
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The heavy metal stuff is violent too do you see that? Or is it just the "urban" music you see as negative?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2009