Curses

Recently the issue of curses came up on the board & there were a few different views posted. I have a few questions on the issue, I think it would be interesting & informative to hear everyone's point of view. I will post them in a few different posts for the sake of space & clarity.

My first question is a two-part question.1. Do you find casting curses or any spell that causes a person discomfort or harm unacceptable in all situations? 2. Do you hold the same to be true in mundane life? It seems we have a double standard (maybe rightly so, that can be part of the issue). In our lives most agree it is acceptable to defend with force your person & loved ones. Most of us find it acceptable to return aggressive rudeness with rudeness. Many of us don't have a problem pushing the drunk who is in our personal space touching us or making inappropriate comments. And so on. Do your mundane & magical standards match?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My standards do match. I will take the risk if I choose to defend myself by shoving someone who shoves me first, and same if I choose to defend myself with a spell... but I do feel I put more energy into my spell work than a shove. My way to respond magickally usually involves more thought. Am I looking for Justice? Than I take the risk in calling upon those forces of having my own actions taken into account as well. It does seem to be a bit of a double standard that people will act and then look down on someone who acts with a curse. which is why I try to take into account the rule of three and my own karma in every situation... not saying I'm perfect but I do try.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 12:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think the difference between the two situations you are listing above are between an action being pre-meditated and actions out of instinct. And let me tkae the drun kinvading personal space as an example.
    A pre-meditated action in which you cause a person harm is IMO wrong. Wishing, praying, or casting a spell of vengeance or that the drunk dies, hurts, etc himself does nothing to help the person or yourself.Instead you should be concerned about their well being and that they receive the help and guidance to carry on life without alcohol.

In cases of defense you are reacting without thinking in order to get out of a situation. A drunk invading your personal space you push away to get free and maintain your freedom and safety. You are not doing it out of spite or malice. You are doing it to protect yourself from potentially greater harm .
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• To answer my own questions. I do not believe that cursing is unacceptable, though I do believing in treading lightly & thinking hard on the subject. I hold the same to be true in the mundane. I will use force, hurt people with words, or cause others discomfort if I feel it is the right reaction. Again, I am careful about it. Premeditation is an issue that came to mind for me when considering the question. But again, I am willing to harm others in a premeditated way (physically or magically) if I determine that to be the best action.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I do not see curses as a positive any more than I see virbal nastyness or rudeness as a positive. And why I try to stay middle road yet honest with most things.Not that I can't get nasty, but I am learning to bite my tounge more. I think it's all the same, magickal and physical energy all leave us the same way, the more emotion and intent there is in something the stronger that energy is. So whether it's energy built up and put in to a curse or anger and spite put in to nasty words, it all returns the same.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• However, I also think sometimes the backlash is very worth it... ex: I had this really super drunk woman that used to come in to my work and call me names because there was no room in the smoking section... Week after week she came in after it filled and week after week she would get in my face and holler and scream about what a bitch whore I was because I was just jelious of her beauty (HAHAHA!!!) and that's why I wouldn't seat her.... Well after about 6 weeks of this she went to my manager and tried to get me fired... That didn't work so she waited til the next day and called our head office... Finally on the next week she came in again. This week the same as the others but this week she took a rather drunkin swing at me - So, I punched her dead in the face!

Negative action on my part? Yep! Was I written up? Yep! Was it worth it to watch her cry? Yep!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I certainly agree with treading carefully and thinking it through before you place a binding or a curse. But, sometimes it IS necessary. The world is full of bullies and cursing someone to protect yourself or someone else is acceptable. I don't believe that pure actions--those done for justice rather than revenge--will bring unpleasent karma to you. Again, you must think things thru VERY carefully and clear your own emotions from the air before you proceed. To cast a curse in anger is extremely dangerous.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• There is a time and place for everything. And there is a proper time and place for curses too. I don't hold to a moral code where I treat mundane actions any different than magical actions. There is no moral weight that will cause a lose of using magic and spells. There is no sin in magic.

Each situation is different. But casting curses takes no more energy than giving someone the bird and often has the same effect. If that's what I'm willing to do, then that's what I do. Not everything requires forethought. Curses belong to a more reflexive body of magic. Most unintentional magic is a curse, which is why defense against curses are so important in most folk beliefs.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009