Is my daughter behind kids her own age?

She will be 3 next month and doesnt know any of her ABC's or her colors and the only shape she knows is circle and she can only count to 10. Is she behind kids her own age?

AWebber212

Asked by AWebber212 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take a deep breathe and ignore the folks that think your child needs to know everything before hitting kindergarten. First and foremost, your daughter is 2 years old about to turn 3. No. She is not behind. In the vast majority of school districts, letter recognition is still a core component of kindergarten. Second, please don't think that flashcards and drills are the ONLY way to teach a child. Kids this age need to experience their worlds. They can learn TONS of things through play and interaction. For what it's worth, my kids both hit their academic milestones very early - we NEVER used flashcards or workbooks or fancy 'teach your baby to read' systems. WE played games. Color with your daughter and talk about what colors YOU are using. Point out shapes in nature and in her every day. USe your adjectives (ie "Can you get me that round blue ball with the yellow stars on it?") Play hide and seek - count beyond 10 loudly.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Wow, you need to spend more time working with her, get books, flash cards and use them everyday!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No. Even if she was what does it matter? If she is a normal child she will learn her ABC's ect. and it doesn't matter if she is 3 or 5. It wouldn't matter if she didn't know them until she was 10 if she was homeschooled.

I read that it is better to let your child figure out how to read on their own then to be taught when my children were young. If they didn't learn by the time they were 12 then help them. My oldest son started reading when he was 4. My middle son could only read a little then at 12 all of a sudden he could read at an adult level.

What to do about my youngest. He was born premature and had developmental delays. His IQ is 80, close to being considered "retarded." I waited. At 12 he started reading at an adult level on his own. He is now 21 and in college! With an 80 IQ! He also knows his colors, shapes and how to count.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• (cont) there are so many FUN things you can do to expose your child to concepts WITHOUT the pressure of drills, flashcards and "you must learn!" Kids that enjoy learning do better academically, longer term. Make it fun. FEel free to PM me for ideas. I can tell you what worked with my two.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• nope...I have a 3 year old and he doesn't really know his stuff either. He knows orange, counts to 3 and says ABC (thinks that's all there is to the ABCs!!!!).....but I'm not worried about it. I have a 7 year old that was probably at the same level my little guy is. My 7 year old is now in 2nd grade, reads just fine, knows his shapes and colors and is doing fine. I hate all the psycho babble about 'your child needs to know how to read before he can go to school.' BOLOGNA!!! They are kids. I didn't know how to read until I went to school and look at me now---a woman with a college degree!

I'm sure your child is just fine. Enjoy these times, they grow up too fast, why rush them along?!?
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My son is 3 he just made 3 and he doesn't know the abc's yet he's kinda starting to sing along but doesn't really know it yet. He can count to 10 and knows some colors and most shapes. I try not to pressure him that much b/c I don't want him to get discouraged and I try to make it fun. He starts pre-k next year so by kindergarten I'm sure he will learn more. I will start working more with him later before he starts pre-k.
    LandonsMom321

Answer by LandonsMom321 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009