What is the appropriate age for a child to have his/her own cell phone?

Jewelzgirl

Asked by Jewelzgirl at 12:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• When they can aford to pay the bill themselves. It is not a nessesary thing for a kid to have.

Answer by louise2 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think 16 would be a good age to have their OWN cell phone. If they have a job and want to get one and pay for it themselves then they can have one when they are younger.

They can be given a cell phone to use when they are much younger. It depends on their level of maturity, the value of the phone, and how much it would cost if they made a lot of calls. I used to give my phone to my kids when they went on Boy Scout campouts because they had asthma and other health issues and I wanted to know we could get in contact with each other.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would have to say that it just depends on the type of kid it is. As long as the kid is responsible enough of taking care of it such as not losing it, and can pay the bills then that is when you know it is the right time. A lot of parents use a particular type of cellphone for safety reasons. I wouldn't know how this works considering my kids are 4 years and 9 months old.
    Halfmoonwife

Answer by Halfmoonwife at 12:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My answer used to be when they can pay for one but now that my son has to be at home by himself for awhile during the day when I'm at work, I gotta say when they are responsible enough to take care of it and use it only for the intended purpose. If I get my son a phone, it will be a good ol cricket phone, no bells and whistles. He will be able to use it to call me, his dad, and 911. Then as he gets older, if he wants to add features to it, he will have to get a job to pay for extra stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My brother's girls are 12 and 13 and have cell phones. I think it's a bit much, but I can understand, in part, why the older daughter has one. She is involved in many jr. high activities, and it's easier for her to just call when she's done with softball practice, etc. so her mom can pick her up. They mostly text on them. They have to do chores and keep their grades up in order to keep them. I think it all depends on your kid and what the benefits of them having a phone would be.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• When they start going places by themselves, they need a way to get in contact with you. I got my first phone at sixth grade. And really, what kid can pay for a phone themselves (unless they are of working age). I mean they might use the allowance you give them, but it would still be your money. Idk I plan to get one for my daighter whenever she wants one and I feel like she is responsible enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• When my 12 yr old daughter asks I tell her it's not about an age, but a level of maturity. When she reaches it, I'll let her know.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My 7 year old keeps asking one because friends have them. NOPE. Not at 7. I'm either with him or he's at school or a babysitters. No need for one. I don't know what age I will get him one. I will make sure he has one when he's home by himself (which isn't for another 5 years) but that's only because we don't have a landline. I had my son before I had my first cell phone....I was 26 when I got my first cell phone.

To answer your question--I have no idea what age is right, I think it's different for everyone depending on their circumstances..but I do believe 7 is too young!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think it depends. On the parents and on the child.

I will probably get one for my children when they start going places alone or with friends. Even just different parts of a store or mall. At first, they will have one of the phones where they can only call me, their dad, and 911. Maybe around 10 or so.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think it depends on the child/situation.

For my kids they won't get one until they are mid-late teens and can prove they are responsible, follow all house rules and be able to pay for it (or pay some $ toward it) themselves.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009