Curses pt. 3

My last question on the issue (as of now). What sources lead you to your conclusions on curses? Obviously we are all free to make our own determinations & the question might have come to you immediately upon contemplation of magic. But, most of what we believe to be true is at least suggested by some other source first. Most books on Neopaganism & Wicca come right out & say curses are a no-no. Most of what we do & believe comes either from early to mid 20th century leaders of the Neopagan / Wiccan movement, the late 18th century ceremonial magicians that those leaders drew from, or from ancient texts. Most of the ancient texts I have read don't warn against curses & any warnings come only from the view point of angering the gods. Were there particular arguments that helped you consider the issue & come to your conclusion concerning curses?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that for me, my study of history, mythology & ancient texts are what helped me come to my conclusion on the issue. It gave me the understanding of moral relativity. Also, since I try to base my practices directly on ancient practices, ancient beliefs also had to have a big influence on my decisions.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I like you have studies that cover a wide range of areas including those you listed. I think the biggest influence on my beliefs concerning the return of energy in general is my father. He is a horridly selfish person. And because his actions towards others are always done only with himself in mind he is always at the short end of the stick so to speak. As I said in another question, I don't think all curses are always a bad thing, in some cases the return negativity is worth it! But in general that's how I see life. I don't view magickal energy and every day energy as any different. So, I live my magickal life as I would my mundane one... As peacefully as possible!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The energy you create from the outcome of a spell is something we all need to consider more. I believe we get so wrapped up in what materials that we have that some of us forget the focus should be on the created energy. You know when you see materials that you can not simply pull out of your cabinet and worry about WHERE to find it, the focus is lost. Sabrina you should write a book on focusing more on the energy created.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would have to say my personal experiences and certain materials that I've read have affected my attitude towards bindings and curses. I always maintain that I did NOT become a witch to just sit back and be walked all over...or see my friends being abused. I practice to take some control over my life and it's direction, and to fight those who threaten it with their negativity and violence.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• UPG and observation. As well as my own understanding of what magic is and how it works. I guess in a sense I've taken a more secular approach to the thorny problem of the morals of magic, which in reality shouldn't be any different than the morals of anything else. I don't believe that the Gods meter out magical power or that magic is dependent on the adherence of a brand of morals. Magic is just a tool.

But to name two of the most influential books on magic for me, it would be Real Magic by Issac Bonewits and Practical Solitary Magic by Nancy B. Watson.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009