What can I do to dilate?

I have tried sex, raspberry leaf tea, walking my butt off, and nothing seems to work! I need to dilate so my doctor can break my water. He has tried the last two weeks and couldn't break it because I'm not dilated. I have been having contractions but no luck with dilation! I am almost 39 weeks pregnant. I have been in early labor to long! I'm tired and in pain.

weaselkim

Asked by weaselkim at 12:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well contractions make you dialate and if your not dialating with the contractions your having then you probably wont dialate on your own and they are probably going to end up giving you a c section
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Think this is an issue to ask your doctor, not us. I'm sorry for your discomfort though. I also think messing with mother nature is not such a good idea. Your baby will come when it is ready, and trying to force it might not be safe.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You are tired and in pain because you have been trying to MAKE yourself dilate and you have yourself all worked up emotionally. None of the things you have been doing have been proven by studies to make any difference in speeding up labor. Early labor can last days and days.

Lay down on your left side. Relax. Watch movies. Invite friends over. Have someone give you a massage. Nap. Soak in the tub. Since your water hasn't broken you could swim.

Go to google and type in your city and doula. If you can afford one call a doula and hire her at full price. Often there are student doulas that need to attend births and will help moms for free or cheap. They are often very well imformed just needing certification. See if you can get someone over to help you. It may keep you from having a C-section. You do not want to have a C-section.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Nothing, your body will dialate when it's time. There are drugs the doctor can give you to soften your cervix so it can dialate easier, but nothing you can make it happen
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Why the rush? Why is your doctor trying to break your water at 37 weeks pregnant. That is just plain dangerous given the lack of dilation and probably the fact that your baby is not engaged.

You WILL dilate but it will be when your baby and your body is ready. Women who get wheeled into a c-section because they "wouldn't dilate" were simply not dilating on their doctors desired time line. Your body is NOT broken.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I let my midwife rupture my membranes after I had been in predomal labor for several weeks to "move things along". Once they break your water, you will be put on a 24 hour time limit for delivery. I ended up faced with a choice between pitocin augmentation or C-section when I was still not progressing after AROM (artificial rupture of membranes). I chose pitocin, and it was far more painful and intense than natural labor. If I had it to do over again, I would have let baby come when she was ready. AROM does not always start labor, and if it doesn't you will be faced with further interventions. Just take it easy and be patient. I know that it is very difficult to have predomal labor for so long, but I deeply regretted my decision to allow AROM.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• What can you do to get more rest and to become more comfy?

Why do you think the doctor wants to force things so roughly?

(Forcing/trying to force things is a mom/doctor convenience. Maybe instead, you can put baby's priorities on top of the convenience & work toward getting distracted and comfortable.)

The end of pregnancy is not usually fun, but it's important to have respect for baby's sake.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Why would you want to rush the baby out starting at 37 weeks? Unless there is a real medical reason that is just irresponsible. There is no way to get your body to do anything, some women go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours while others walk around a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks.
    Also the rupture of membranes is not without risks, its a very risky way of trying to start labor. It could lead to a cord prolapse and that is a reason for an immediate c-section, if that doesn't happen you will be on the clock and will probably be expected to give birth withing 24 hours. Its asking for problems
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009