Why is being scantily clad on a magazine cover okay, but nursing in public is disgusting?

Most women said "You go girl!" when Jennifer Anniston posed for this picture:

But so many women are outraged and disgusted by a random woman doing this:

Can someone explain why there is a double standard here?

(I'm an exclusive 100% formula feeder, by the way. Don't call me a breastfeeding nazi.)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because society had sexualized women's breasts and forgot that the intended purpose of breast is to feed babies. Nothing against FF eithier!! I'm not saying you HAVE to use your breasts to feed your baby, I'm just stating my opinion on why some people think breastfeeding is gross.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Americans think of breasts as sex objects rather than baby feeders. It bothers them to see babies using the sex object. It can't be that they are bothered by seeing skin because wearing low cut dresses and tops and wearing short tops is so common today we see skin all the time. The baby covers the nipple.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• because some people need to grow up
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Agree with anon:39. Society has changed the image of women over the years. Men used to look for a woman who looked strong, with hips that could bear many children. Now the idea is that men want tiny little things. NO offense if you happen to be naturally tiny! What I mean is some people think that is the ideal and it didn't use to be that way. Do you think a long time ago, women use to wear push up bras and low cut tops to catch a man's attention? BTW I'm a formula feeder too but my breast feeding friends often catch flak for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• JMO, Because women who breastfeed could show the entire breast. Most picture like that do not show everything.
    I thing that picture is going a little to far. But the ones with the person has underwear and a bra on is ok.

Answer by louise2 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I was disgusted by the magazine cover and probably wouldn't have noticed the breastfeeder... I do both btw... when a woman is at least discreet about it I don't mind at all, though I personally don't BF in public for my own comfort.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i think breastfeeding is beautiful whether the woman doing so is hot or not. women are beautiful, period. some ppl are just sensitive and pay too much attention to the media.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• 1st she is waaaay to thin! 2nd, I do NOT think nursing in public is disgusting. People really need to get over themselves. Granted I do not want to walk the isles at the mall with my 13 yr old son and see some woman with her entire breast exposed, there is something to be said for modesty. But if he is gonna get a boobie shot at least it would be one where a breast is being used as nature intended, not one being exploited on a 10x13 glossy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Wow, I think the magazine cover is inappropriate, but I also think that women should cover up when breastfeeding in public (and I breastfed btw). I go to a weekly playgroup at McDonalds and several of the mom's breastfeed and no one notices at all. They get the cover-ups that are very light weight and stay in place because of the neck strap, babies are happy, mommy's are happy.. I don't see why it's always such an issue. I used receiving blankets with my child, and it worked great. I don't want people taking pictures of me breastfeeding.. I don't want people seeing my breasts because they are private. I prefer for nursing to be a private act, even in a public place, it's a private activity. Just my opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• There is no difference to me unless a womans WHOLE boob is hanging out, even magazine covers with a womans full breast, nipple and areola, exposed, it's put on a separate rack that isn't visible. I could care less if a woman nurses in public, but it can be done discreetly
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009