groomer can't handle a shih tzu?

Ok so I understand that he has seperation anxiety and gets nervous when I leave him at th groomer, this time apparently he snapped "viciously" at the groomer. So i go back to pick him up and ask if maybe I could try staying with him and see if he'll let her do her job then. And her response is that she doesn't have time today and to ask me to reschedule for next week. Call me crazy but I thought that when you make an appointment a week in advance that this means they have set aside time for you... how does my presence make the grooming process take longer? I don't know what to do with this dog, he's incredibly sweet at home but I can't groom him, he has longer hair and won't sit still enough for me, and apparently groomers don't like to let you stay with your animal while they groom (I have only asked one other place)

what do i do now? any similar stories?

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 12:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pets

• I'd go to a new groomer, just personally.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I used to groom, and still do a few dogs here and there. I will tell you that Shih tzu's are one of my most hated dogs to groom. They can be very tempremental and nasty. The dogs that are nice at home, but have not been socialized and have no rules and boundries at home are the most dangerous to vets and groomers. And YES it takes long to groom a dog with the owner there. The owner gets in the way, the dogs gets more wiggly and slows the entire process. She probably had your dog scheduled for earlier in the day, used most of the time set aside for your dog trying to groom it. Then she has to move on to other dogs. I always schedule about two hours for bath, dry, brush, and clip on a dog that size. If the dog is being VERY difficult I will call the owner and offer to finish another day, or put it at the end of my day. You can try a different groomer to see if they have better luck. (Cont)
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• (Cont) Look for a small private shop with someone who has "done it forever". My friend and I were that small shop. We had many dogs that were kicked out of other groomers or had to be sedated other places. We had little to no problems with them. It is all in how you handle the dog and situation.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• if you could do more of the home grooming then maybe the dog would get used to being groomed at the groomers. i started my dogs at a young age grooming them at home on my own table. i'm no dog groomer but i can't pay groomer prices so i self taught myself. getting better with each clip. so far no cuts on the skin. although i need a new clipper.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Some groomers are just plain stupid. I took my corgi in to get his nails trimmed, and before she even touched him the groomer asked if she would have to muzzle him! I was like what for? She then asked me if I could hold him because most corgi's she'd worked with were "snappy". My dog has never snapped at anyone for any reason in his life, so I said sure. He rolled over on his back, held his feet up, got trimmed and got up and waited while I paid her, and she was just astonished at "such a docile corgi". Ummm, whatever...... I think she was a flake!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• there is also the option of finding a groomer in a vet's office. Then your dog could be mildly sedated to allow the groomer to work. I would do that as a last resort though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I worked as a groomer for a while...if there was any breed groomers would love to see wiped out it is the damn Shih Tzus! And yes, I'm afraid your sweet baby is very tempermental and moody when you're not there and they're up on that table. They snap and they bite and they growl and they refuse to stand up and if you want to keep that long hair then you have no idea the time it takes to dry it all and you have to dry it quickly, while brushing it out so it doesn't kink up...it's a nightmare! I absolutely detested doing the shih tzus!
    Anonymous