Do you do this?

Do you always check your middle schooler's homework? Should you just ck to make sure he or she has done it? Should they be responsible for it and if they have a missed question it is their problem to deal with? Isn't it like you have done their homework for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids aren't that old yet, but yes, I think I would check over their homework. 1. To make sure it's done and 2. See what they are doing in school. I believe in parent's being involved in their children's school work. If I saw messy handwriting, or poor writing skills or math skills when I KNOW they can do better, I might comment and encourage them to make corrections.

Yes, at that age they should be responsible for their own work, but I do feel that as a parent it is also my responsibility to be involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yes, I do agree with you. Mine are not in middle school yet but that's what I think when we're checking our 2nd and 1st graders' homeworks. I am thinking when we don't need to check their homework...? I know my DH's answer will be...he would say, "I'll check them til they graduate from high school." Well, what can I say?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My son is still in elem school and I do check his homework. In fact I was going to ask this very question! I'll look at it and if I notice he has answered a question incorrectly, I will tell him to give the whole thing a second look. He will usually catch his mistake on his own and fix it. Now, he is getting into the habit of checking it a second time before he gives it to me to look at. I wondered if this meant I was "doing his work" for him but I figure if it teaches him to check his work all the time, then it will benefit him for when I am not there to help him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My oldest is just in 2nd grade so I have no idea. I will probably look over it if he wants me too. I don't think checking it is doing it for them. Are you telling the child the correct answer or just telling him/her that it's wrong? I think there's a difference. If you are helping them find a mistake and have them fix it then that's okay. If you find the mistake and say "no the answer isn't 11 it's 13 and this is how you do it" then that's doing it for them and it's not okay. I watch two children, oldest in 5th and she askes me to check her homework. If the child needs help figuring out the correct answer then help them. I think we learn from mistakes (or at least we are supposed to!).
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Homework is for practice, so if my kids make a mistake I see no problem in making them redo that problem/question. They have still done the work, and they're going to have to understand it for the test which is where the majority of their grade(s) will come from anyway.
    My kids are in 3rd and 4th grade and I check their homework and if they made a mistake I tell them to check it again. I will continue to check it through middle school. In highschool they will be on their own unless I see grades dropping in a particular class or classes, at which point I will start checking.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My oldest is in 4th grade and we go back and forth. As long as her grades are fine and she's not bringing home slips saying she didn't complete homework we don't check it. Sometimes I'll ask if she did it all, if she needs help (she rarely does) or stuff like that. But once she starts bringing home notes saying she isn't finishing her work we start checking. Depending on the situation we might just check to make sure she is doing it all (check her assignment book to see what she has, go through her folders, etc). If her grades are dropping then I actually go over the work to see if she is doing it right.
    It's been her responsibility since 2nd grade to do her own work in a timely fashion.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I started tapering off in 5th grade.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009