Should Smoking Be Illegal?

I know this may become another heated debate, but I am curious to know your honest opinions on this matter. Let's be civil to one another if we can though, and try to post our "counter-answers" to opposing viewpoints without name-calling. :)

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, if you outlaw smoking, then you go into alcohol, then what about BBQ's and firepits, oh and then there are cars, the emissions from cars can be far deadlier than cigarette smoke.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yes, and I also want the government to tell me when to eat, ban my McDonalds, create mandatory exercise programs, and control every other part of my life. (Sarcasm...)

If you want to kill yourself, so be it. It's not the government's responsibility to protect unintelligent people from themselves.

I smoked when I was younger, then decided I better stop if I wanted to live a full life, and so I did.. I took responsibility for myself, something that's nearly unheard of nowdays.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• it's already expensive, we can't afford to lose the tax money those fruckers bring in
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• As a smoker myself I'm two sided on this. I don't feel like it should be illegal but I do believe in a "polite" smoker. Don't blow your freaking smoke on other people.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No
    I dont care LOL
    As long as you dont do it in our car or house or around our kids LOL
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I can't stand smoke, cigarettes, the smell, or what they do to people - but no, I don't think they should be banned.

I live in Ireland - it's illegal here to smoke inside any work place, or public building - pubs, restaurants, cafes, anywhere.

But as you walk down the street you still get caught up in clouds of smoke almost everywhere. I think there should be some sort of law where people should not be able to smoke on public pavements in cities and towns because there are children and babies all around.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh, I also think it should be mandatory that EVERYONE have health insurance. The people who don't smoke shouldn't have their taxes spent on people who have health problems FROM smoking.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The government likes to go on about the rights of the individual whenever this subject is broached. Honestly, I think that the only rights the "powers that be" care about are their right to tax cigarettes, and their rich friends' right to make money off the production of cigarettes.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I wish it COULD be illegal, but no, i dont think it SHOULD be. I just hate the smell and the inconsiderate smokers. It drives me INSANE to be stopped at a red light and have MY truck filled with cig smoke because the guy next to me is smoking. And when i have to walk through a cloud of smoke with my kids to get into a building. Pisses me off...
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009