What is the difference between DEPRESSION and an ANXIETY DISORDER?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 1:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Health

• Anxiety puts your body in a constant state of "fight or flight" and wears the body out. Depression is when your mind cannot function properly and your body sort of shuts down to preserve itself. Depression depletes certain chemicals in your brain and anxiety depletes others. Anxiety can aggravate depression and vice versa. I believe there is a general theory among physicians that by treating depression they can also treat anxiety, but when I saw a psychiatrist for panic attacks she told me that is counterproductive. She believed treat the anxiety to get rid of anxiety and treat depression to get rid of depression. I had clinical depression that had been brought on by several months of severe anxiety attacks and anti depressants only made it worse. She treated the anxiety attacks with a very light dose of meds and within 2 weeks the depression was gone.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• discouraged is depression fear is anxiety
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Although depression and anxiety disorders often go hand in hand.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009