English Bulldogs

Does anyone have English Bulldogs? Have they ever had puppies? How long will the female be in heat? I cant seem to find a good book or resource on English Bulldogs. I have had my male for about 3 years but now I have a female and she is in heat and I am not sure what I need to do. I am not looking to breed them but is it possible for her to get pregnant without AI? I am trying to keep my male away from my female right now but he has been on top of her a couple times when I try to move them to clean her area. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Unless they have "tied" she is most likely not pregnant. That means they mate and are literaly stuck together for 15 mins or so. Please google dog breeding if you don't know these things. Also please get your dogs fixed. A bulldog has to have a c-section to deliver. So these dogs are not for people who don't know what they are doing. Also if this is her first heat she is too young and could be dangerous for her to get pregnant already. Please keep one locked in the kitchen or another room with a baby gate or in a crate until she is out of heat. Then as soon as she is take her to be fixed. We do not need more dogs in this world. The shelters and rescues are all full as it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh for christ's sake...FIX YOUR DOGS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree. If you dont want to breeed, get them fixed. Soon.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Most of the time English Bulldogs do require AI b/c of kinked tubes. Although it is definitely possible for them to get pregnant on their own, although it is rare. Ours had a total surprise litter a few months ago, no one even knew she was pregnant until she had the first of two puppies. My vet was totally shocked she was able to conceive on her own, even more so then the fact she delivered them naturally. (my vet specializes in breeding of English bulldogs).

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 10:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009