Should Homemakers Get Paid?

My mother once told me about a magazine article she read, wherein a list had been made of all of the people one would have to hire to replace a stay-at-home wife and mother. Alongside each was the yearly average salary each person would need to be paid. Some of the professions listed were obvious...nanny, housekeeper, chef, etc. Many of them were jobs that one might not realize such a woman handles however...chauffeur, book-keeper, tutor, nurse's aide, seamstress, secretary, etc. This very long listing ended with a price tag that would probably shock most people (I do not remember the exact amount, but it was a few hundred thousand per year).
(I am not some bum looking for "my due in life". I enjoy being a homemaker, and I am perfectly happy being "paid" in appreiciation for what I do. I simply had a thought that was inspired by an enlightening magazine article, and I am curious to know what others think. :) )

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Where do you think this money would come from? I'm a SAHM and I love it, but I don't expect anyone to pay me - my husband and I share his paycheck.

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Of course, I do not mean every woman (or man) who decides "You know, I really don't feel like working, so I will stay home while my spouse works and call myself a homemaker." If our government ever did carry out such an "unconventional" idea, there would have to be stipulations. For instance, I am sure that only families that fell into a certain tax bracket would be eligible. There would also have to be proof that people who were compensated were actually "active" homemakers (lying in front of the TV all day and spending the spouse's paycheck on nothing but fake nails and clothing does not count as homemaking). This would probably create some tension as it would most likely require the occasional home visit by a government employee. Who knows though, perhaps paying homemakers a small salary may be the key to boosting the economy! :)
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Sounds nice but I don't consider being a Mom a "job".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i get to enjoy my kid 24/7 what else can i ask for,besides a thank you.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think women who stay home get paid already from their husbands or the state.
    GoGoJoJo

Answer by GoGoJoJo at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh, I do not expect to be paid either. As I said, it was just a thought as a result of the article.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• LOL That would be awesome
    I saw that same article
    It is a job just not your typical job.
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It's a full time job, not a job as in I have to do this and hate it, but a special job, and a lot of hard work. I believe all moms should beable to stay home and raise their kids for the 1st year of their childs life! It's beneficial for mother and child, they learn, bond, and it should be manditory. But there should be income coming in somehow, not by taxes but the govt. should pay moms, we deserve it, I stay at home, would love to find a job but I'm 7 months preg ain't nobody hiring me now, you can't just rely on your husbands income this day and age (only if you're lucky).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I still think this could be the answer to the recession....LOL....
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• what a nice thought but i guess we are paid in other ways. I love being a SAHM but it is hard work and its not a job job but it is still a job in its self. Not everyone can do it.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009