Does an internal exam hurt?

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never found them painful, but uncomfortable yes. I think it also depends how far back your cervix is located and how gentle your provider is.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It can but for me, they usually don't. Are you pregnant? My midwife said that pregnant women tend to be more sensitive so it can be a bit more uncomfortable if your pregnant. My midwife does everything she can to make sure it's not uncomfortable but come on, it's always going to be alittle uncomfortable to get an exam done, lol. You'll be fine babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• They were uncomfortable for me with my first 3 kids, with my 4th I about jumped off the table it was so painful. I'm not really sure why, but just to be sure i made certain that dr was not the one on call when I delivered!

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• For me it depends on the doctor giving it. One of my doctors has huge sausage fingers and swear he is trying to pull the baby out he gets them in there so far, it is pretty damn uncomfortable when he does them. My other doctors don't bother me as much it's not the funnest thing i the world but it's not incredible painful or anything.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't get them as a pregnant person, but non-pregnant they are really uncomfortable. Not usually painful.
    If you are pregnant, they could be less comfy due to the extra blood flow in the area. You might consider avoiding them for you & baby's physical health, and for your emotional health.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Nope, they arent painful to me. I mean, they dont feel great but they dont hurt
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't say painful, but very very uncomfortable. They push up there really far. I think it makes a difference if you are already dialated too. The first two times I was checked, my cervix was still really closed and that did not feel so great. Then the last two times I was checked, I was dialated atleast 1cm, so it was softer when they were checking it. It is nothing to stress about.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i agree with everyone above. it's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt. if it does, let your provider know so they can ease up on the pressure
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009