After my 3 month visit I had only gained one pound due to morning sickness. Once that was over I got back my appetite. However I am now at the end if my 5th month and have gained a whopping 16 lbs all together! I'm very concerned about gaining anymore weight. Do I not eat as much? Help!

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 1:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are of normal weight before you got pregnant you are expected to gain around 25-35 lbs. If you are gaining too fast your dr should let you know. But you're not eating for two, the amount of calories that you need is really not that much more than what you normally eat. Eat when you're hungry, make sure you're making healthy choice for your baby, and continue to exercise.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• 16 pounds at 5 months is about where you should be I think. I was told to gain about a pound a week for the first two trimesters. Then the last three months, I would gain about a pound a month. So if you do the math, 27 pounds in the first two trimesters and then another 3 in the last one. That is a total of 30 pounds. Make conscious health decisions, and eat when you are hungry. You don't have to eat for 2 people. I was told just adding an extra 200 calories a day was sufficient, provided they weren't empty calories.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Portion control is a big thing. I lost 15 pounds in my first trimester due to morning sickness so I was having to eat way too much in order to get anything to stay down. When the sickness stopped, I forgot to cut back on the food intake and blew up pretty quick. It doesn't sound like you've gained too much but watch how much you're eating and make sure you're snacking on fruits and veggies rather than packs of cookies.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 2:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• it varies from person to person. my dr said i needed to gain more. i'm at 34 wks and gained 20 pounds. this just means this time i'll have a small baby, the others have always been around 25-30 as directed. i still have time to gain that 5 pounds i guess.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Your doctor will tell you if you are gaining too much. Just eat healthy and nature will takes it course. I'm due any day now and have gained 50lbs. I'm not worried about it and neither is my doctor. I know I'm healthy so that is all that matters. Don't stress about the weight gain.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009